JDS Labs Element II Preamp to control JBL 306p mkII

As the title says, can I use JDS Labs Element II preamp to control volume of JBL 306p mk II’s? And switch between speakers and headphones as well?

I kind of think I can, but I just want to make sure. It’s going to be my first time setting up a system with headphones and speakers.

Thank you!

P.S Sorry for the noob question. I googled ‘can you use preamp to control volume’ and all I find in other forums are people squabbling

1 Like

Yes you can. The Element II RCA Out are a preamp, so you can use it to control powered Monitors like the JBL. The power button also acts as a switch between the two, you make a long press (hold for about 2s) and it switches between headphone out and preamp out.

Just be careful as I think the Element I didn’t have pre outs, so double check if you’re buying used. Element II is regularly with B-stock in JDS Labs page, it’s also a little cost save.

I’ve had mine for about a Year now and I am very happy with it.

3 Likes

I’ve had an EL Amp II for ~ 4 months and can say the same. The preamp works exactly as described and it makes switching between powered speakers and headphones incredibly easy.

1 Like