šŸ”¶ Klipsch HP-3

I have both the HP-3 and Aiva and they are two of my favorite headphones along with my LCD-2C.

They really compliment each other very well with the HP-3 being the warmer bassy (yet still with great detail) headphone and the Aiva being the brighter more energetic one. Depending on your setup the Aiva can sound a bit to hot from time to time but when you find the right combo they sound great.

If I had to pick just one it would be the HP-3 because it is the total package with great sound and build quality plus you get 2 nice cables, a nice metal stand and the box is second to none. I also feel like it is the best sounding of my headphones though itā€™s close between all three of my favs.

4 Likes

While obviously in different tiers, how would everyone compare the sound signature of the HP-3 to other ā€˜funā€™ dynamics like the X2HR or Nighthawk? Donā€™t think iā€™ll be getting rid of my Nighthawks, but if itā€™d be a somewhat direct upgrade to the X2HR and i can still get them for $699, i may grab 'em. Iā€™m interested in the ZMF stuff for similar reasons, but itā€™s harder to justify if these are close enough and half the price of most ZMFā€¦even used.

I would have to say I have 0 expectation these will sound close to ZMF. Now I wait as both my HP-3 and Eikons are ordered.

Anyone have experience with what kind of amps go best with these headphones? Curious if there is a preferred path here.

Maybe the klipsch heritage? Donā€™t quote me on this one I just think aesthetically would be great

1 Like

Agreedā€¦ this would be a good lookā€¦ klipsch heritage stuff is pretty sweet looking gear

Specs suggest the lower power requirements means an amp really isnā€™t necessary. Itā€™s a dynamic soā€¦ whatever works great on dynamics.

Certainly looks greatā€¦but sound. Is it really $1200 sound quality for basically half price? Better than Nighthawk and Elex? Budget ZMF?

Relatively low impedence at 25 ohms and 98 db sensitivity, so doesnā€™t seem like something thatā€™d be too amp picky.

I wonā€™t know until mine gets in.

Oh well, too lateā€¦sold out. Hope you got a steal!

Just got them. Iā€™m holding official impressions for a bit butā€¦ flat out they do not sound or feel like a $1200 headphone. But OH BOY do they look it. Without giving much critical listening, think leather bound kph30ā€™s. Like I said, really early with these headphones, amp needs: not really needing an amp. RNHP is overkill for these headphones are are on par with the sensitivity of my LCD X.

5 Likes

Interesting they sound similar to the kph30s. I saw the deal and was interested but passed. Kinda glad I did because Iā€™m not a fan of the kph30i. Iā€™m glad you like them tho.

Iā€™d be pissed if I paid $1300 for a pretty KPH30i.

4 Likes

Yeah, but I think $700 for those are probably a decent deal. But I canā€™t really speak on it because Iā€™ve never heard them.

1 Like

Initial impressions. I didnā€™t A/B the KPH30ā€™s and I canā€™t stress this enough. No break in, not actually critically listening. I will say for watching videos and listening poorly mastered music/youtube garbageā€¦ they sound pretty enjoyable. My initial thoughts are ā€œIf you donā€™t have an amp and want to up your gear, they ainā€™t bad.ā€

I like my HP3s so far but I found them overly bright with my preferred tubes. I had to find something a bit more neutral to get me to like them. Not sure I like them better than the LCDX/3s but they are a nice change and considerably lighter.

1 Like

Everything thing sounds bright compared to LCDā€™s. They donā€™t sound like that (yet) to me. Iā€™ll them with some EQ later.

I would say the Asgard 3 if you canā€™t get the RebelAmp, which is what Iā€™m running mine through.

FYI, after having these headphones for a weekā€¦ the left cup already fell off despite being gently used. Iā€™m waiting feedback from the vendor for the next step forward.

I will say after about 30 hours+ of use, the headphones were really growing on me and just enjoyable for classical or EDM. I think if you want a taste of a higher end headphone but all you have is a Dragonfly or Fiio amp/dacā€¦ this would make a pretty nice headphone to pair with lower powered units. I stand by the fact I swear these headphones sound like an expensive Koss kph30. So if youā€™re looking for a headphone to kick it up a notch, donā€™t have a powerful amp, love your kph30ā€™s but want want something with build quality you canā€™t really go wrong with the HP-3.

3 Likes

Struck me as very funny: your post starts with a piece falling off and finishes with ā€œif you want something with build qualityā€.

Just cracked me up on Sunday morning. :laughing:

4 Likes