Klipsch Powergate - Very good speaker amp for $150... ($500 MSRP)

Just wanted to point out that the Klipsch Powergate is down to $150 right now on Amazon. It’s discontinued.

This was released at an MSRP of $500.
You can check out the ASR Review here.

Apparently the performance of the Phono-Preamp alone is comparable to stand-alone phono pre-amps that cost $100+. Sub-out, remote, etc… I just ordered one to replace my SMSL SA98-E.

Good, let us know how successful you are in getting the software to update for the play-fi and how well the BT works for you. I just want to compare notes. Also I want to know what speakers you mate it with.

Just going to drop this here

1 Like

Also, don’t forget to order a pair of fans for it to push some air across the unit, I found that this works very well for mine and when I keep the fans at a low power the whine is barely perceptible. See thread Mon attached for link to fans. They are cheap insurance for this particular unit.

1 Like

Lol. You guys should really start using full names when talking about a product sometimes. I searched “Klipsch Powergate” and did not see that before making the post. =p
Oh well. I’ll see how it goes for myself since I’ve already ordered.

You should have known something was going to be wrong once you saw gate anything lol. It’s already got the scandal name as the product name

It’s a pretty great product if it works though

1 Like

I got unlucky with the smsl su8. Getting 2 bad units in a row. To the point I gave up on it. Maybe I’ll get lucky here as payoff. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The issues with the play-fi didn’t really seem like a big deal to me, personally… but the “heat” issues I’m reading about are a bit worrying. =(
If my unit gets unusually hot, I’ll likely not even deal with it and just return it. I’ll update once I have it.

No, if you have no software issues and play-fi is not a need or you plug your source in direct then just spend the $20 on the fans I recommended. 1 push and 1 pull to either side of the unit and I promise heat will NOT be an issue. Trust me and try it.

1 Like

I’ll consider it. Personally, just want a nice amp with sub out. I’ve had this SVS sitting the corner for a long time, but with zero use. lol… I was also considering the Echo Link Amp as an option, personally.

The echo amp is not good imo, it does not sound very good at all to me

2 Likes

hmm okay. Well I’ll have to figure out other alternatives then if that is the case. The AD18 seems to be the only other one I can find that is not a huge receiver. Topping MX3 listed on that other topic too.

This is so tempting. Phono plus sub out is sexy. I just got the micca origain, but feel like it can barely drive my elacs debut 2.0 ><

If your price can push it, the sprout100 is really good with an actually good headphone out as well, but I think that’s pretty overkill. The AD18 is pretty alright imo. I think a d10 and pa3 stack is very nice if your amp has a high level speaker input. The PMA-600NE is really good imo but may be a bit larger

It’s a pretty good amp if it decides to work for you (the powergate that is)

The Denon deos look nice. Yeah, I’ll wait and see how the Klipsch works out. The sprout is definitely overkill for my use-case price-wise. And no, sub amp does not have high-level inputs, unfortunately, so a bit limited in that regard. And it’s not something I’m willing to go overboard for, since I would only really use it during the day time on occasion. I wouldn’t want the sub to be running all the time.

I decided to cancel my order. I guess the heat issue is just a thing, and honestly, I don’t want to setup fans to make it work.

Well I guess you aren’t a fan

lol you could say that.
…man… thought i found a good solution too. :tired_face:

It it didn’t have issues with dying it would have been an awesome amp for 150