Klipsch RP-600M OR Klipsch RP-500M?

upgrading my stereo setup ATM. (also used for home theater).
Current setup.
Pionner sp-fs52 (the full pioneer 5.1 bookshelf rears, center, an 8 inch sub.)
Yamaha tsr 8710. 7.2/5.2.2 surround.
HSU research vtf-3 mark 3 HO(one port closed hit to 16hz.)
NEW:Topping E30 dac ( Still in shipping atm will arrive soon)
All shielded rca’s/ quality cables.
Coming soon new stereo amp(not sure what)
SO anyways with that out of the way for reference. I am looking at the Klipsch RP-600M or there slight smaller brother the 500m’s. Price is not the problem its more room size. My listen space is 10 foot by 10 foot with no back wall, the back opens into a full other room. This limits me on wall distance/seating positioning, while the open second room lets the massive sub breath an my rear channels fill it with sound during movies extra. I don’t notice any echos from the mains, coming from the rear so thats good to I guess. With a 10 foot by 10 foot space, speakers 6 feet apart. ( an a sub that hits to 16hz) does Anyone Feel like the 600m might be over kill/not have enough space to properly image in a 10 by 10 room, compared to the 500m’s. my amp only lets me cross sub woofers in at 40 hz or 60hz with the sub so i would be cutting them both off at 60HZ anyways neither of them play down to 40hz, an i listen very loud. so what do you guys think. 500m’s or 600m’s. Also I had other speakers in mind but I do Really wanna check these horns out atm.

Between the two, I would recommend the 600M. I think the fact that you have an open back wall, it should allow for it to breathe. Fortunately, both share the same tweeter system, but you’ll likely enjoy the 600Ms more.

You might run into beaming issues with the 600m over the 500m in that particular set up. Other than that, it’s more preference of size looks as you have a great sub for low end.

I would suggest putting liner in either option as the rp series cabinets are quite hollow and reverb on some lower tones without it.

thank you, an yeah that was my first thought two, I feel like If I just had 2 more feet so 12 by 12 the 600m’s would be perfect, i feel they would enjoy being spaced a bit further apart then 6 feet with more then around 2 feet to breath from the wall on the sides, that what the 10 by 10 forces me to run. I think I will order 500m’s to night with 28 inch stands an see how they sound in the room. If I feel there not enough I can always return them for the 600m’s. also thanks for the liner heads up ill keep that In mind.

1 Like

Np, let us know how they work out.

1 Like

Sure thing, there in route, they will be here on the 26th

1 Like

So looks like I have to pull a Zeos for a week, the speakers showed up early, So I don’t have stands. solutions the sp-fs52’s are now speakers stands an i raised the couch by 2 inches, the SP-FS are a little to tall though so the rp500ms have to go upside down to have the tweeters line up with my head, Had to be done, i can’t be messing up the speakers first impressions with bad placement. I will let you guys know if i think the 5.5 inch drivers are perfect for a 10 by 10 room in like a week after a I get proper stands and get the subs all crossed over right. I took 2 pioneer 8 inch subs the kinda crappy ones that make port noise an i sealed them an stuffed them with poly fill, then glued them together(doubling the weight) Now its actually a good little sub, It hits lower now, an doesn’t cuff. And you can turn them up just about all the way to full power now with out getting internal noise from all the poly fill, good little mod, Cross them in at 90hz down to 40, then take the HSU from 40hz down to 16. with the rp500ms crossed in at 60hz.(I will prob just run only The HSU crossed at 60hz no 8’s for music) 8s play up to 90/100hz for my rears/height channels when the surround is on btw. Also one other thing about the sub mode, Ik the cabinets aren’t sharing a box so they cant do proper push pull, but I did flip one upside an glued it to the top of the other sub, with its phase flipped an I can tell its a cleaner presser wave coming off the whole box like this, with one sub firing straight up phase on 180 with the bottom firing down phase on 0 .

2 Likes

Very nice and creative way to get a midbass module. DIY ftw :slightly_smiling_face:. Looking forward to hearing your further thoughts.

1 Like

Well I’ve been messing around with room placement for about a 5 days now an also upgraded to a Separate amp an my e30 came in today. I can definitely say that the RP 600 M would be too much of a speaker for a 10 x 10 room for proper imaging at a reasonable sitting distance. I personally try to keep everything properly spaced off the walls. And with proper wall spacing the speakers are almost too close together at times and when sitting about 6 feet away I noticed crossover issues between the tweeter an the woofer. They don’t mix properly but I’ll step foot back and then everything will just blend perfectly. I am going to take them apart on Monday when my sound dampening, 1/2 inch thick foam shows up an install that along with cleaning up the binding post or swapping to tube connectors.

2 Likes

sooooo. I sent the RP500M’s back to amazon today. an placed an order on a set of HSU CCB 8’s, quite the jump but it needed to be done. I seem to have a love for deep warm full sound that needs an 8 inch woofer to produce it or bigger. the Rp500m’s sounded amazing. all the classic RP series reviews on YouTube hold true, great speakers, an for 340 you can get the Rp500 refurbished. But There mid base was lacking, best way to describe it, gun shots in a movie or a song, where clean, detailed an sharp, but there was no weight in the 200hz-800hz range. an I need that. I set up an old pair of JBL LX 44’s Next to my RP500m’s along with the pioneer spf 52s. an when a guitar played through those jbl 8 inch woofer it was magical, the JBLs didn’t sound anywhere near as good as my RP500m’s but the warmth the liveliness was all there, farm more then the RP500m’s. So with that in mind, the CCB 8’s have a horn tweeter like the RP 500’s an the 8 inch woofer… oh yeah. an its coaxial…so I can get good blending of drivers at a closer seated position. They had me as first sight, I have this gut feeling there will sound far better then kef Q150/350’s with the larger woofer thicker cabinet an higher efficiency.

2 Likes

i understand the need completely. let me know how you like the HSU’s. they have been on my radar for a while, and look promising.

Oh will do. There really isnt Much els I can add to whats already been said about RP500/600m’s. they have been reviewed to death, in a good way an that why I bought them I felt I knew what I was buying. An It beat my expectations Tbh, probably because i also upgraded my amp, an dac at the same time to class A, an the topping E30 for a tripple wammy. (adcom 5300, 75 watts into 8 ohm class A/B, first 20 watts are true class A) But what I can add is that when properly set up. same distance from side walls an back 32 inches on both sides with, 26 inch stands an a 15 degree in-words toe magic happens with those 500m’s, they just become invisible, with amazing sound stage an great mids above 800hz an amazing highs, an they never distort I could bleed my ears while so how loving every second of it.

2 Likes

So I have an HSU VTF3 HO mark 2, atm. thats my subwoofer so I have faith in HSU, an When I noticed that the CCB 8’s are well 8 inch woofer, with a horn loaded tweeter for only 700 at 96 db efficiency. The same price as the Q350’s… 86 db efficiency. I knew They would also make magic happen. I love acoustic music so I feel I need the larger woofers but i sit 6.5/7 feet away so huge speakers don’t mix well even the 500m’s sounded better at 8 feet then 6 in my room. So where crossing are fingers on coaxial magic

2 Likes

if the ccb8’s do not do it for you, tekton has the mini lore monitors for 565$/pair with shipping. they have an 8" woofer + soft dome tweeter. not coaxial though. just another potential option with a larger woofer.

edit: and i totally feel you on the large woofer. There’s no replacement for displacement!

1 Like

those tekton are dope looking, with the woofer above the tweeter. I like the look of those. I feel that that would really help with blending the sound, an creating more of a top heavy tall sound stage. I wonder why more company do not try this approach, I mean you can always just Z them an flip them upside down, but they probably wont look as good if they have logos on them an shit. then you gotta debage them… an if there like B an W, good luck flipping those upside down with there little jet engine tweeter. Buchardt Seem to think its also a good idea, ill keep those in mind. The CCB 8’s will be here on Wednesday so ill update you then I do like sharp Highs as well BTW. The CCB 8’s have titanium horn loaded like the klischps, I am hopping then draw you in like the Rp500/600m’s do with that lively top end.
AN You gotta carve that into my gravestone someday, lmao no replacement for displacement.

1 Like

its my moto lol, i have a few pairs of cheaper end vintage infinity and mcs speakers. replaced the drivers with modern ones. got them for free or 10$ or less. hard to get large woofers these days without spending a pretty penny. but throwing a 30$ modern woofer and 20$ tweeter in vintage, gets you modern sound for cheap.

edit: i should say midfi sound for cheap, cheaper modern drivers with new technology, perform as well as mid-level drivers from back in the day.

The CCB 8’s are here an oh boy. I had to steal your quote when I posted a pic of them in the what did you buy today off topic forum. Wow there epic just first impressions I’ll toss a proper review up in like a week after I listen to everything I have downloaded on them lol.

Also Edit. I have a pair of JBL LX44’s in decent condition, I re-foamed them - year ago but ducked up on one of the woofer so now the voice coil scraps at high volumes an in just gonna see if I can find a original replacement, if now I’m gonna buy a set of 8 inch Dayton reference woofers from parts express for them.

1 Like

Hi Josh,

great review. have the same dilema “600 or 500?” After reading your review, I am just waiting for my rp500m for a 10feet x 10feet room with all 4 walls. I have a yamaha reciever 6ohm/100watt and klipsch r51m, which sound great in this space. But… I hope the rp500m will improove the sound even more.

Best regards, keep on listening!

I vote for 600m, 500m on a desk. If you can use a pair of micca RB42C as a stereo pair could that be done with a pair of RP 600-500 center channel speakers for R/L ?

Missed my window to find out RP150C went on sale during black friday for 199 now back up at 249.