Koss KPH 40 Utility: Stuck Hair Behind the Driver Membrane

I purchased a pair of KPH 40 Utility headphones from the Koss main website upon their release. Despite the detachable cable not being implemented exactly as I desired, I couldn’t wait to get them. After a week or two, they were shipped to Serbia. The build quality appeared solid and aesthetically pleasing, and the sound quality was good for the price, as is typical with Koss.

However, I noticed a staticky sound from the left driver on specific bass frequencies. Being familiar with other Koss products, I suspected that hair might have lodged itself into the foam and was poking the driver, causing the static noise. I attempted to clean and remove any hair but found none, convincing myself that I was imagining things.

Fast forward a month, and my frustration grew. I checked the driver for hair multiple times and found nothing. Finally, I decided to take more drastic measures. I tore down the driver, removed the foam and metal cover, and carefully inspected the area in sunlight. To my surprise, I found not one but two hairs touching the driver. Using plastic tweezers, I attempted to remove them, only to discover, to my horror, that the hairs were behind the driver membrane. It appears they were stuck there during assembly, likely by someone being careless.

Now, after thinking I was crazy, I’m extremely frustrated. The hairs are long and situated behind small, tiny holes on the back of the driver, making them impossible to remove with the tools I have.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue, and if so, did you find a solution?

If you could post a pic it might help. I’ve used the upholstery attachment nozzle of a vacuum cleaner to remove particles I couldn’t reach. Just used fingers over it to control the suction and whisk debris out of a tiny spot.

1 Like

Here is the picture its easier to see in real life.

As a suggestion, you could try to get a ultra fine (tip) tweezer and try to grab the hair from the back at the indicated vent hole shown in the pic below.

1 Like

I don’t own one unfortunately. Also there are two the, other one is hidden by the flash.

For people who are interested I managed to remove the hairs by sticking a peace of tape on the end of a needle and sticking the hairs to it it worked well.

2 Likes