🔶 Koss KPH 40 Utility

Just finished my MMCX mod and am listening with the 40’s connected to my Fiio LC-BT2 bluetooth neckband. The neckband has plenty of power to drive these very loudly.

These are the MMCX adapters I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Adapter-Headphone-Replacement-Earphone/dp/B09BJ1V5YB/

The tools I used are:

• Small flathead screwdriver
  • Small file (part of my Leatherman)
  • Epoxy
  • Scissors
  • Soldering Iron

Using the screwdriver carefully pry the cable cap off of the driver housing. There are 2 plastic pegs that hold it on the housing, so you will have to alternate prying a little bit on each side. I broke 1 of the pegs by prying too much on 1 side.

The trickiest part of the process was finding a file to use which fit the notch of the cable cap perfectly (luckily I remembered my Leatherman has one), then widening the notch 1mm to fit the inner post of the connector while the outer lip overhangs outside of the notch space.

Once I had the notch right I epoxied the connector in place and left it overnight to cure. NOTE - keep the red wire on the right side, it makes soldering easier later.

When I was ready to connect to the drivers I used the scissors to snip the stock wires from the back of the drivers. It was easier than trying to use the soldering iron to desolder them.

Using my soldering helping hands made the soldering process so much easier, especially as the wires lined up with the solder pads because of how I epoxied the connector. The red wire matches the side of the red mark on the driver. As there was plenty of solder on the pad I did not need to add any extra, all I had to do was melt it around the new wires.

Something to keep in mind, the wires provided on these connectors are too long for the cap, however I did not snip them just to make working with everything easier. As seen in the above picture, I had to spread the wires out to clear the inner plastic posts, then bend the wires towards the outer edge to make everything fit. Kind of accordion style.

Because of how the cable cap fits on the driver the MMCX connector fills most of the empty space that allows it to sit flush. The plastic pegs do go into their housings a bit, but there is quite a bit of a gap left over. I used blue tack under the MMCX connector to help the pegs keep everything in place.

After I have more time to test I may epoxy the cable caps in place. I need to see how often the caps come off of the driver.

For $60 the KPH40 with Yaxi Pads and these MMCX connectors make an excellent wireless headphone solution, especially when paired with my Fiio LC-BT2.

I am looking forward to trying these with my aftermarket balanced cables on my desktop rig as well.

If you have any questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

Now to do the same with my KPH30i’s. They should be much easier/quicker given the bigger housings.

9 Likes

Addendum to my above post…

After doing some testing, where I was able to confirm functionality and that the sound had not been affected, I realized I would have to epoxy the cable caps down.

There were no issues with my neckband cables because of how they wrapped around the drivers, however when I switched over to my full-length cables, the weight was too much.

After letting the new batch of epoxy cure overnight everything is working great now.

p.s. Zeos was not kidding when he said these things scale really well with good amps. I connected them to my desktop rig via XLR balanced and there is added presence in the mid/low end, but not in a muddy way. Great timbre and instrument separation.

Soundstage is unchanged, but for $60 all-in, these headphones have no business sounding this good.

2 Likes

did it work?

you guys this would do the trick to make it a true balanced connection?

I feel it might be useful for some of you to know that the BTunes bluetooth adapter I have for my audio technica M50x’s actually works with the kph40’s. Found this out after my cable started dying and i was experimenting a little bit. I’m assuming other M50x adapters will work as well, and the cable I have for the M50x’s also works perfectly. :+1:

I know im about to necro this thread as a brand new user BUT I have confirmed the Koss utility’s working with a balanced cable. It looked like no one until now actually confirm it and just theorized it was a thing.

I just got the Porta Pro Utilities and snagged this cabled and it worked as if it was meant to be. Amazon.com

Might have a shorter one made with 4.4mm or XLR instead this was just a test. A lighter thinner cable is preferred since its not plugging into the frame of the headset like on most.

3 Likes