Koss KPH30i Detachable Cable Mod V2

Agree leaded solder is SOOO much easier to deal with, I use standard 60/40 or 2% Silver on audio projects if I really care, and I have it around.

Heavy metal should be enjoyed! Not cause of death!

2 Likes

tenor

Doom guy intensifies

Seriously though: Heavy metal fumes of any kind are not to be toyed with.

1 Like

Agreed, keep your soldering iron temp below 650F to ensure you don’t get any type of vaporization of the lead solder. Most the fumes inhaled are flux which isn’t bad in short amounts. But if you solder more than once or twice a month, consider some fume extractor options.

sets soldering station to 350°C yeah… well…

Honestly, just get a fan to blow (preferably pull) smoke towards an open window.
Or a 12V DC wall wart, a PC fan, some cardboard and a dryer hose (my setup).

Great mod!

Have you any suggestions/improvements on this mod (yaxi pads + 2 pin connector upgrade) after using it awhile?

I’ve actually changed up the pads because the Yaxi Portapro ones don’t really fit in the long run. Now I use the Grado G1000 pads (a.k.a the Ultra mod), and it works really well. What I did was use a combination of small sissors and drillbit to gently poke a hole on one side of the pad, then work my way to attaching the connector to the modded headphones after the Grado pad is on. It’s also just bare driver without the Yaxi or default pads on, making it easy to swap out.

Here is Zeos’ way of doing it. I much prefer doing it on the modded KPH30i because you just have to drill a hole as opposed to cutting the pad itself.

It also should be said that the Grado pad mod essentially turns the KPH30i into Portapros + wider soundstage. The warm veil is gone, and it becomes more detailed and airy. It still packs a punch, but it’s loss that dark KPH30i tuning. I much prefer this version because I prefer the PortaPro sound more then the KPH30i sound.

2 Likes

Awesome!
One more thing: Is there a way to remove the caps while modding the cables without ripping the stock pads? Seems like your stock pad is undamaged :smiley:

Forceps/tweezers. Just very gently pull the edges of the pads back and up. Then work your way slowly around.

1 Like

Not sure if you have already gone through the process, but here a few videos to maybe help out.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

That looks super easy, might give that a try.

Please make a video when u do the mod with these bigger 0.78mm 2pin cables. I would be very happy to see the result

So after being inspired by this thread. I also wanted to mod my pair of kph30i’s.
I opted for neither mmxc nor 2-pin.
Instead I went for a 4 pin mini xlr at the split the same way i do for all my other headphone cables.
Makes them less portable but gives me the option to use my already made cables.

4 Likes