šŸ”¶ Koss KPH30i

I would but, I donā€™t have replacement pads for it yet and I am not sure when the stocks of Yaxi pads would be back. Though come to think of it, if I want to save up more I would do that but since the Koss KPH30i is a bit fragile in terms of build, I donā€™t see anything wrong owning an another pair as a backup.

Iā€™m not sure if the driver is any different, but comparing the back of the boxes of both sets it seems that the driver chassis is assembled differently. Zeos did say it seems that Koss only took out the foam, but the chassis rearrangement might also have something to do with the signature change.

Like how both boxes states ā€œRugged cable systemā€ ā€¦ although my Koss trio (porta pro, kph30i and ksc75) has not failed on me yet, but i do feel i need to take extra care due to their thin and flimsy feeling cableā€¦

Welp that is marketing for you, for you cannot simply accept things that you see on products as absolute fact more like testimonials. But I could say the cable of mine has not been damaged yet so far, as long as you are careful with yours of course.

There will be a time that I am going to give mine the an MMCX or 2pin treatment for these.

Iā€™m a member.

Bought one on a whim for my wife since sheā€™s always attached to Meh ear buds. Sheā€™s fundamentally against in ears which rules out so much of the better sounding cheap stuff.

Well four times today sheā€™s run over saying wow listen to how good this song sounds, so much better than the ear buds. I have to say, Iā€™m shocked how good they are given the $20 dollar expectation.

1 Like

I set both my boys up with KPH30iā€™s for school and general ipad listening. The price is right, if they destroy them I spend $30 more dollars and get another set (theyā€™ve lasted almost a year now, so no complaints on durability). My boys are 7 and 9, and their music listening is mostly at home on my equipment (my 9 year old taking over my listening chair: Are there any young audiophiles? - #67 by elementze). Last week my 9 year old came home complaining about how bad his friends headphones sounded in computer class, and that for his friends birthday he wants to get him a set of KPH30iā€™s. :rofl: Making converts one KPH30i at a timeā€¦

9 Likes

As stated previously in this dicsussion I was rather dissapointed with the 30iā€™s and couldnā€™t see what you guys saw in them.

Then I got to listen to some 120$ gaming headphonesā€¦ How do these sound so bad?! Then some wireless JBL crapā€¦ Againā€¦ The koss just sound better.

Iā€™ve now been able to do the Ultra-mod (big ass grado ripoff pads of Aliexpress) and god f*cking damn does that make a difference to comfort and killing the highs! I now understand. I spend $20 on the 30iā€™s and 7 on the pads. Theyā€™re still not wow but beat everything Iā€™ve heard sub 150 (IEMā€™s excluded)

1 Like

Yup, just put the grado style pads on mine as well. Holy bass, wider SS and fun.
Some mid/high clarity loss, but not too bad. Just fun for those times when I want
a richer sound. NOT selling my Sundaras though! :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah, I did a side-by-side comparison with these modded vs my Sundara.
Although Koss is close and enjoyable for the obscenely low cost, the contrast with the Sundara was still stark. Sundara was tighter, richer, more sure of itself.
What Iā€™m afraid of is comparing the Sundara to a great set of IEMs. Iā€™m just starting that search now.

2 Likes

Am very high-sensitive so this is a blessing for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Letā€™s be honestā€¦ They donā€™t even compare xD

First off. Another Sundara owner :smiley:
As for IEMā€™sā€¦ While they can beat the detail of the Sundara starting at around half the cost. But none reach that open airy feeling and only the high end really touches the thight bass

2 Likes

I am looking for a decent pair of bluetooth headphones.

I saw the reviews on using KPH 30 Iā€™s with the Grado pads and the cable modā€¦

My question is would it be worth it to mod them and use some kind of attachment to add bluetooth to them? Or would it be better to instead just buy like Phiaton Legacy 900

This would mainly be to listen to music/youtube/streams to, use with tablet when on the go etc.

1 Like

You can get something like the Fiio BTR5/Qudelix 5K and then use it with the KPH30i (or any other transducer you want).

I have the FIIO LC-BT2 neckband for my IEMs and it works great.

I have not done the mmcx mod on any of my 30iā€™s yet, but it is on my to do list to try them with the neckband.

YOu have to be really comfortable with soldering very tiny wiresā€¦ I broke open my 75ā€™s for an MMCX mod but noped out of it really fast bahaha

Not as cheap and less do it yourself but if you want some of, if not the best sounding Bluetooth headphones, Iā€™m really liking the Drop Panda right now. Planar, THX amp built in, can connect up to 6 devices.

The KPH30i donā€™t require much to drive and the wire is thin, so while they arenā€™t Bluetooth they really donā€™t feel limiting when plugged into a phone with a dongle, or portable audio player.

need to get a kit that has the magnifying glass to let you see up close comfortably. :slight_smile:

And a better soldering iron than my $15 amazon special thag has a hotter handle than tip

Just got my beige version, so now i have my original ā€œgreyā€, the clear and the beige from drop.
Getting 3 (or rather 2 identical and the clears) sets seems a bit excessive, but one of them is going to find a new home at my mums, so i can plug them into my laptop when i am visiting and i wanted to sample the clears, so thats why i ended up with 3 pairs)

My only problem is, i only have 1 set of yaxi pads left! Esthetically i think the beige or the dark grey would suit the orange yaxi pads the best, but what will the clears sound like with yaxi padsā€¦it will be a difficult choice! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds stupendously intimate, not a lot of difference from the unmodded sound, but with +++ comfort. I could have them on all day long without any discomfort. Iā€™ve done my version of the ultra mod before (see here: šŸ”¶ Koss KPH30i - #551 by PopinTeddy) and the sound becomes a bit farther away. I prefer the Yaxi mod over Ultra mod now :sunglasses:.

Still, all I need to do is to put the Grado pads back on and Voila! Instant Ultra over-ear mod done. Suitable for a more closed-off experience like movie watching.

1 Like

6/2/21 Drop has these for $20

2 Likes