đŸ”¶ Koss KSC-75 / X

An interesting graph. Koss KPH30i, Koss KSC75s and Koss PortaPros, compared.
I can’t find a graph for the Koss UR40 s that Zeos just reviewed, unfortunately.

And here’s a fun one. Sennheiser HD650s compared to Koss KSC75s.
The treble on Koss KSC75s is impressive, I knew it.

(Yes, I copy-pasted this from The cheap AF headphones/earphones thread .)

I wanna buy these as a belated graduation present for my brother, but I’m from Croatia and it’d be the stupidest decision ever to order them since I’d pay twice the price for shipping :frowning:

Anybody willing to donate a set? I’d pay for shipping of course :orange_heart:

where can I find the 3d grill file and the guide to mmcx mod?

2 Likes

In my opinion I came from a tin t2 and wow the ksc75 have way more bass and soundstage and I felt the same way you did when I first got them but now I enjoy them more than the tin t2s.

1 Like

Too bad, a kitten ate the wire of my KSC75s. :stuck_out_tongue:
A good excuse for me to get PortaPros :laughing:

True my dog got my porta pros

I feel so stupid but please help me.

For the life of me I can’t figure out how to fit the KSC-75 to my ears properly. How do you even work on-ear clips? Are they supposed to be lopsided a bit? To get the best sound, I need to physically hold them to my ear :frowning:

take a look at Koss website
they’ve got a couple pictures showing how to wear them.

Sound went out in the left driver for me yesterday :confused: I knew it was a possibility when I ordered them but still sucks cause I really love these. Unsure whether to get another pair since they’re so cheap or try out the porta pros / kph30i

it might seem silly
but if you get them again, why not do the mmcx mod, so the cable shouldn’t fail and let the headphones die.

also, I think they have a lifetime warranty, so msg them for warranty replacement?

1 Like

I officially like these much MUCH better than the KPH30is. Those have arguably better bass, but the KSC75s are better at everything else

3 Likes

i bought three and each sounded distorted. couldn’t add no amp juice to them without them sounding bad.

1 Like

Too powerful amps?

Look for impedance adapters (basically adds impedance to low-impedance IEMs and headphones).

An impedance adapter will give you more usable volume knob range (and more bass on the KSC75 if it’s a series-resistor adapter of high enough resistance, like 100-ish ohms), but it will not solve the problem that the KSC75 simply starts to distort a lot when you turn it up to 90 dB or more. It’s just not good for loud listening.

LE:
Bass boost from 120-ohm amp output resistance (or series adapter):

So if you get the 150-ohm version of this it could be something like +4 dB at 100 Hz: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32860270299.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.15844c4dTJVtXE (but then of course the KSC75 would show up to the amp as a 60+150=210 ohm headphone, something to keep in mind with series resistors).

The DUNU mentioned above, 75-ohm version, I’ve measured to show up as 18-ohm amp-out resistance toward the headphones, so it won’t boost the bass by much, probably less than 1 dB.

And of course if you boost the bass on the input/electrical side, it becomes even more important how loud you turn them, since most of their distortion is in the bass.

3 Likes

Ouch, ok, I don’t listen to headphones that loud lol.
Thanks for the infos and measurements! :slight_smile:

I ordered one on amazon and will see what happens.

Sooo
 it’s a fake one? “Fengru” are better?

What? No. The DUNU are “better” for increasing the apparent headphone impedance seen by the amp so that you get more volume control range and lower the noise floor on sensitive headphones, without also raising the apparent amp-out resistance seen by the headphones. This is the type of adaptation circuit used in the iFi IEMatch, only there it actually keeps the apparent amp-out below 1 ohm and that’s why the IEMatch is much more expensive. DUNU only manages an 18-ohm apparent amp-out, and that might change some frequency responses in some IEMs, but not by much, in most cases it’s also fine the way it is.

The Fengru is a simple resistor added in series with the headphone driver, so it will increase both the apparent headphone impedance and the apparent amp-out by the same amount. Usually this is not what people want, but when you know what you’re doing and when the headphones allow it you can use one of these to “analog-EQ” the headphones’ frequency response in a desirable way, like giving the KSC75 a little bass boost. :slight_smile: (Or you could use it with planars because those don’t care about amp-out and because you couldn’t find a low enough resistance version of the DUNU, like I’m using the 30-ohm Fengru with my Verums.)

1 Like

Never expected to cry while listening to headphones, But these did that to me in the first 3 hours of use.
They allowed me to take music with me when I go outside and enjoy it, Something I haven’t done in years because it’s nearly impossible to use anything but a design like these when you’re hearing disabled and need to wear hearing aids. (And the Sennheiser OMX 52’s that I have did what the had to do, But that’s about it so I stopped using them a couple of years ago.)
I can wear these over the earpiece of my hearing aid, Enabling me to listen to music and hear everything around me that I need to hear.

Second pair arrived today for home use together with an extension cable for pc and tv use + a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro.
The DT990 Pro is back in it’s box with a return label on it after listening for 2,5 hours, Didn’t like how it sounds (The known flaws basically.) and I don’t know if its normal but I could hear some sort of creaking coming from where the cable enters the headphone every time I moved my head. Which annoyed me to the point of frustration because I ain’t a statue and move my head all the time.
Good thing I didn’t order a AMP/DAC yet, Unsure what to do now. Might give the AKG K712 a try? Or perhaps just stick with these lovely Koss KSC-75’s and give up on trying to find something more comfortable for longer duration use. (A lot of Z’s recommendations aren’t available or a lot more expensive here in Europe.)

Edit 2: Did some reading on Neutral vs Warm, Going to try the AKG K712 Pro even though I haven’t noticed any fatiguing with the KSC-75 so far but comfort during longer use could be better.

7 Likes

The k712 pro is pretty nice, warmer with more detail and better soundstage, but the ksc75’s are pretty nice as well lol