đŸ”¶ Koss KSC-75 / X

Ok, WTF. I got my KSC75X’s today and thought they’d be a nice fun beater pair.

Tried them for a couple of minutes, swapped in Yaxi’s due to discomfort.

Then it hit me. These are too good. Plugged in them to my MacBook and the sound was great. Went to the desktop and put them in the amp. These are just awesome. What the.

6 Likes

This phenomenon is well documented.

2 Likes

Thought it was one of those community jokes, that are common in enthusiast circles. Bought a pair for the laughs and got proven that it was no joke.

2 Likes

So uhh this is fucking endgame boys, girls, and non binaries, I’ve found it. It’s the most comfortable thing once you bend the pos hooks to fit your ears. Sounds very balanced to me. Oh yeah and I got the red/blue yaxi pads. I’m loving it. It’s sounds so
 light and balanced yet it makes all my music come alive. That’s how I can best describe it. There’s detail on this thing too. Godlike phones for 20$.

Haven’t got the KPH30i yet so we’ll see if those are as good but without the earhook fudgery. PortaPros aren’t even close, those are way too boosted in the bass to me.

2 Likes

@Out_Here_In_Poorland My ksc 75’s are my most often used headphones, lol.
I too use yaxi pads and also have put them on the oft mentioned parts express
headband. I am always impressed by their presence and soundstage, as well as
vocal/mids clarity and a decent amount of bass (not as boomy as the porta pros.) I have given away many pair of these modified ksc’s and people are always wowed. I do have pricier phones, but these are what I grab when I just want to ck out new music or concert videos (youtube etc.) PS they sound great
on my Asgard 3. :wink:

1 Like

I would say my kph30i (stock) and the ksc 75 with yaxi pads and parts express headband are my two most used headphones. Mostly because they both are so light and comfortable, and they are easy to drive so i don’t have to rely on my Magni3 to drive them. Also, with the kph30i in stock form, they do have slightly different sound signature.

2 Likes

Koss X Retrospekt P/21 headband + KSC75 Drivers + Orange Yaxi Pads

Pretty darn comfortable. Never had the Parts Express headband, so I can’t compare.

Works fine when wearing glasses. The clips didn’t work for my particular frames.

I miss the touch remote control, so will switch the headband to my KSC75X someday (which I still have on their clips).

Oh
I didn’t even try the P/21. Reviews were not good.

5 Likes

I did the thing:

6 Likes

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

6 Likes

The KSC-75 with the little fiio btr3 is my killer outdoor active system. I use them when out riding my bike. The open back design doesn’t cut off my situational awareness as much as IEMs would. They sound flipping great and are cheap enough I don’t worry about getting caught out in the rain with them.

I don’t have any real issues with stock comfort but I do want to try some Yaxi pads on them soon.

1 Like

I was wrong to doubt these. I was mostly worried about fit.

Bone stock out of the package, I think these may be my favorite of the 60 ohm Koss both in terms of fit and sound. Hopeful they will work out well on my bike, which is why I finally grabbed a set.

I just got my KSC-75 X and I feel like I’m missing something. I was really impressed with the KPH30i and I guess I expected these to sound more similar since it’s the same driver, but I don’t like them nearly as much on an initial listen.

I dunno, I’ll give it a bit longer and see if they grow on me.

EDIT: I ordered the Porta Pro Yaxi pads, here’s hoping!

I didn’t like the KSC75 until I got the Parts Express headband and Yaxi pads to get a proper seal. Since then I prefer them over the KPH30i.

5 Likes

I swapped the pads for Yaxi pads and it makes a big difference for the better. It also helps with the fit, I think, since the Yaxi pads are larger than the stock pads and it does a better job of holding itself against my ear (though the fit is definitely still weird).

I’m pretty sure I still prefer the KPH30i, but yeah, the Yaxi pads help a lot!

1 Like

If you got smaller ears like me, the yaxi pads are actually way too big and causes a very negative change.

1 Like

Both of my girlfriends have smaller heads/ears, so that’s really good to know! I still have the original pads, so hopefully swapping them back in won’t be a big deal if that’s needed.

As for me, I bought the KPH30i, KSC75X, and Porta Pro X all at once just because I wanted the fun of comparing them and trying out the mods and stuff, and in that regard, I’ve had a lot of fun for what I paid!

Unmodded, I would’ve ranked them KPH30i >>> Porta Pro > KSC75 for my preferences, but with all of them pad swapped, I would probably say KPH30i > KSC75 > Porta Pro, so the KSC75 was the one that gained the most from modification to my ears. To be fair, it’s also the one I have the most difficulty physically wearing, so it probably has the largest margin for error in terms of how I was using it.

ehm, BOTH? :joy:

No problems swapping them for me, just be careful to not damage the “pins” on the cups/drivers.

1 Like

It’s a bit off-topic, so if you’re interested in actually chatting about polyamory, we can move it to another thread or PMs or something, but yes! Both! <3 <3

So I did end up tearing the pads when removing them from the KPH30i, but I still have two good sets (one each from the KSC75 and Porta Pro), and I’m pretty sure I didn’t damage any of the pins on any of them.

I feel like the Porta Pro, modded or not, doesn’t have the chops to pull off the bass elevation that it’s going for, so it sounds bloated, which the pad swap doesn’t really help with. Whereas the stock KSC75 had the opposite issue of sounding too thin and was missing a body/fullness for me, which the Yaxi pads actually did help quite a bit with, though I would certainly believe that the change has more to do with the fit than the pads. But the KPH30i still strikes the best balance for what I’m looking for, I like the KPH30i quite a lot.

2 Likes

My ranking (as can be seen in my database):

Porta Pro <<< KSC75 <= KPH30i

1 Like

I see you’re on iPhone. I’m just curious, do you see any benefit in sound quality with your setup, streaming AAC bluetooth from your iPhone to the BTR5? Versus straight-up plugging in your headphones to the iPhone with the lightning dongle? This is something I’ve been wondering about for a really long time.