đŸ”¶ KZ ZEX Pro Tribrid

I posted my review of the ZEX Pro in the Acho Reviews thread here:

5 Likes

Config/txt?

I can’t remember where I got the text file.

7 Likes

I fixed CRN / ZEX Pro with EQ, at least for my taste.

I started of with the EQ from Crinacle called “Crinacle fix-palatable air” and added my own bass shelf that starts earlier, like around 400/500Hz.
I did this manually because I’m a dum dum and have no PEQ and only use Wavelet.

It now sounds much fuller with better bass for electronic music and even some slam. The added air and fixed 8k peak fixes the timbre and the soundstage. I found it has pretty decent soundstage actually. It works for most genre but maybe less for Rock. As always YMMV.

This song sounds really good on this:

3 Likes

Cable is jank but they sound good. Tiny treble peak somewhere is annoying but not always. Snares are a bit much sometimes depending on the track. Other than that they’re easily the most capable IEMs I have but that isn’t saying much and for $35 this is a pretty ridiculous amount of detail and dynamics. If there’s a passive way of taming that treble peak I’d probably use these all the time. Do filters or anything like that help with it?

Edit: might just be used to planar over ears but the bass is a little loose down really deep. totally passable but does fall apart a little.

2 Likes

Maybe you could try @Rikudou_Goku 1 devided by 16 mod where you cut a foam from an Earbud to 1/16 of its size and put it into the eartip.

1 Like

Foams mostly affect the 2-4k range. The peak is at 8k.

It can help but not the ideal mod.

3 Likes

The KZ CRN is a dramatic step forward for KZ, but the treble balance, timbre issues, and average technical performance keep the CRN from being an unqualified recommendation from me. These issues can be remedied with PEQ, but if you have access to PEQ the need for such a strong starting point in terms of base tuning is much less, and you might do better to pick something more technically proficient instead.
My full review, with measurements, a comparison with the Tanchjim Tanya, and additional images, is available on my blog:
KZ CRN (ZEX Pro) Review. A Mile Forward and a Yard Short | by Alec | Bedrock Reviews | Dec, 2021 | Medium

2 Likes

If you like planars you should consider the 7Hz Timeless, more than $35 obviously but it’s really good, I think the best IEM available around $200 and competes with stuff much more expensive. Great planar bass and sparkly and detailed in the treble without being fatiguing.

1 Like

I don’t get it. Why do they need fixing, if Crin tuned them? Weren’t the idea of the set that it has good tuning from the start?

3 Likes

I’m with you. It may be the best that can be done with an incredibly affordable driver?

1 Like

I don’t like how they are tuned stock but I’ve had monoprice m350s for a couple years and with some heavy EQ they’re pretty incredible. I’m a bit of a sucker for soundstage, imaging, and separation and I’ve heard the 7hz is pretty flat soundstage wise. If 7hz could make a properly tuned open back timeless I bet it would solve a lot of their staging issues.

1 Like

I think you need to look at it in the context of an IEM, and a $200 IEM at that. It’s not going to compete with open back over ears for soundstage. Few if any IEMs do. Almost all IEMs are closed back, open back IEMs are very niche.

Imaging and separation are particularly good on this IMO. Soundstage isn’t terrible either, it’s average. If you like this and you like the Edition XS I think you’d like the Timeless. It’s not perfect in every way but it’s a huge step up from this IEM (which I think is good, for the price).

1 Like

This hobby is subjective

2 Likes
2 Likes

I think he’s right on this, the treble on these is a mess. It’s very KZ, huge peaks and dips. It’s very promising for me up to treble, but then it all goes wrong. I was initially impressed, and I still think they work for some genres, particularly electronic music, but the more I listen to them, the more problematic the harsh treble gets.

The recommended EQ [8kHz -5dB Q5 / 12kHz +10dB Q4] helps a lot, but that it exists at all and requires such huge 5-10db peak filters sort of indicates that the treble is wack stock. If you have easy access to PEQ though, it really helps, they sound far more natural, less metallic, less wrong. You can also boost the mid-bass if the “thinness” concerns you but this concerns me less. I think though it ultimately doesn’t have the technicals to pull off this tuning.

2 Likes

Try my preset:

Peak: 4200hz, Q: 2, gain: -3db
Peak: 7000hz, Q: 5, gain: -3db
Peak: 8000hz, Q: 3, gain: -5db
High-shelf: 11 000Q: 0.7, gain: 3db

I tried CrinÂŽs preset but I preferred mine.

2 Likes

That is my take as well.

@Pokrog I always view IEMs as an option to closed back headphones. My reasons to take an IEM over a closed back are comfort, temperature, and portability or size. The portability aspect usually means that you want the sound isolation both for you and the other people around you, so open back rarely makes sense in this space.

That said, the Timeless has a wide stage for an IEM, and is wider than the SHP9500 open back headphones. There are ranges on these things, and they can overlap a bit. If you really want a wide open back, look at the AKG K612 Pro ( or K702 ).

IEMs tend to be my work solution, for me open backs are more for gaming and my down time. I spend more on IEMs, but only because it is easy to justify due to time spent with them in my ears.

2 Likes

I wasn’t expecting much at that price point, but I figured the Crinacle tuning would be “better than that”. The graph looks like everything above 6k is a mess. I am curious to hear them, and I will likely get my value out of them if they are comfortable, but who knows ( I should have them this week ).

I have to admit that the closer I get to receiving my Linsoul shipments, the less excited about this one, and the more excited about the T3+ I am.

3 Likes

Yeah at the end of the day, it’s still a ~35 USD set, and it won’t compete with T3+ even with the tuning from a respected reviewer. I tried the ZEX Pro thinking I’d get a taste of a tribrid, but honestly I didn’t hear anything different to a hybrid. I think I’ll just go >200 USD bracket for the next tribrid.

6 Likes