"Last gen" earbuds

I got a bundle on eBay recently, and with the right til pairings, I’ve been pretty amazed by the sound from some less cutting edge earbuds.

Case in point, in my ears right now is the Cambridge Audio SE1. I out some pretty standard medium silicones on it, for a great seal. The sound is warm and so… Analog?

Judas Priest sound pretty thin on many of my preferred IEMs, but Devil’s Child on these was screamin’! The warmth works beautifully with spoken word too, such as Es War Einmal by Faun. In my teens (early 2010s) I actually used a cassette player instead of an MP3 player, with tapes I’d “burned” from CDs-- Rammstein, Nine Inch Nails, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Meatloaf, Smashing Pumpkins, Muse. Some legit tapes too like The Everly Brothers, The Smiths, Billie Holiday, Jimi Hendrix, Blur.
This takes me right back to a “cassette tape” sound, and its detailed as well as warm.

There was a Sony MH1-C in here too, a well know value gem. The cable is at least as bad as famed.

Harder to find tips that for the Focal Sphear’s, but they’ve been a decent listen too.

I’ve come to disregard older bullet IEMs that don’t have the custom-IEM design of recent Chi Fi. I know recent earbuds exist like the Chaconne et al.

What are some favorites or recommendations people have for bullet buds that predate the recent boom in the audiophile market? These things are cheap and I can’t wait to pass them on to friends. A sort of “gateway” IEM.

Edit: The SE1 supposedly involves beryllium by the way. Not too shabby!

The worst part of any of these is the cable, unchangeable without modding.

Makes me interested in Moondrop’s teased bullet style IEMs as an EDC for when isolation isn’t desired. I’m a teacher and some planning periods I’ll listen to my IEMs while I work, but it’s always awkward if students/visitors drop in and have to be right in front of me before I know!

1 Like

Hi, have you tried Final E3000C ?
I use them at work because of the built-in mic and controller, and also at home when I want warmth and “volume” on percussions.
They are great for Judas Priest, WASP, Van Halen… any hard rock and metal not super-fast.
I prefer them over Blon BL-03 for this genre, when paired with mid or treble-focused tips (Radius deep mount, spinfit cp100…)
When the track calls for it, those open back micro-DD can sound huge on kick-drums. But if the track is fast or already bassy, they sound bloated.
Sold 30€ on Amazon Japan, usable at work, come with Final E tips you will use on other sets (they’re bad for E3000) it’s a no brainer in my opinion.

I wish someone had recommended me those over Periodic Audio’s Beryllium, or over many flavour-of-the month sub-50usd chifi.

Have fun !

1 Like

First of all, this is not an earbud, it is an iem. Secondly, it is not an open-back, “semi” open at best.

They are solid, but the 03 with the mesh mod is better IMO. Non-replaceable cable is a pain as well.

The Periodic Audio BE is garbage…

Yeah. Two years ago, they were recommended by some, for metalheads. I read your review after I spent 200usd and regretted it dearly. Convinced me you’re trustworthy.
I won’t go deeper into this here as I fear I have misundertood the question and am off-topic.
Cheers

1 Like

Thanks for the trust. Way too many shills, sucking it off in the review section over at head-fi…

1 Like