šŸ”· Lawton Mods for Fostex Biodynamic-Driver Headphones

Iā€™ve been using the Black Limba all day today and am really enjoying them.

Something Iā€™ve noticed is the treble and upper midrange is slightly more gentle on the Black Limba. The Wild Chechen has a slightly harder edge to it so the Black Limba is very nice and punchy and warm but without the edgyness.

4 Likes

I sat down today and started listening to take notes for the big write up I intended to do for my Lawton chambers, and as I listened I realized all I really had to say was this:

The Lawton Waterfall Bubinga chambers are basically just the stock Purple Hart cups but better in every way (accept maybe looks, I find purple heart to be VERY pretty). Whatever aspect you want to compare, the Lawton chambers are at worst just as good as the stock cups, are more often than not superior, and are sometimes astoundingly better.

Some side notes that I want to mention, the bass is huge, but thatā€™s only with the extra thick (0.8mm) custom attenuation ring Iā€™m using. If I wanted less bass all I would have to do is use the normal thickness (0.4mm) rings or even no rings at all, and the bass is never less than stock cups even without rings. I should also mention that the bass, despite being so huge, is never too much (for me). It seems to only boom and rumble when called for by the song and is almost polite the rest of the time. Also pads make a huge difference in the sound, so feel free to pad swap to your heartā€™s content (I prefer the ZMF Ori hybrids and also like the Lawton pads for a more neutral type of sound). I canā€™t seem to find any kind of music that these donā€™t sound great with. These are the first headphones Iā€™ve been able to hear a clear and Identifiable difference between sources with. For those curious, I tested between my D10/Asgard 3 stack and my XD-05 (original). The differences were mostly in the bass extension/impact (better on the Asgard) and treble clarity (also better on the Asgard). There was also some sort of difference in the mids but I canā€™t really identify what exactly.

Another thing is just how helpful Mark Lawton is. I asked what felt like way too many questions and he was willing to answer them all and his answers wher exactly what I needed. He is also a great help for deciding what kind of wood to get. He knows what he is talking about and is very good at getting you exactly what you asked for. If you have the $300-600 to spend, it is absolutely worth it get some Lawton chambers.

Thatā€™s all I have to say for now.

Edit: pics

10 Likes

Well to hear it :+1:.
I think i know now what for cups i woud when they give it.
Habe fun with it :grin:.

Nice oneā€¦ Iā€™ve swapped back to the Black Limba for some more extended listening and Iā€™m in love with the thickness of bass. :wink:

2 Likes

The level 1 tune-up shipped today for my th610. The chambers are still in ā€œprocessā€ and should be ready in 3-6 weeks. I went with a type 2, museum grade Hawaiian Koa. I chose a type 2 because my Denon D5000 is a type 3 (exhibition Wild Sissoo Rosewood) and Iā€™m hoping it will be different enough to not be too redundant.

Curious to see what it will be like with just the driver tune up and then trying the Lawton pads and stock pads while waiting for the chambers to arrive.

2 Likes

The tune up is not going to change the FR in any real way. Do a lot of listening before Installing it then a lot after and youl pick up on the technical improvements. The cups are where the real upgrade is imo. Hawaiian Koa is gorgeous. Iirc they should have a bit less treble and a bit warmer sound. Canā€™t wait to see some pictures.

2 Likes

That is what Iā€™m after for this set.

2 Likes

Imgur

5 Likes

@Hilton
I was going back through some of your posts here and on another site. Somethingā€™s dawned on me unless Iā€™ve missed it. Did you only do the chambers mod and not the driver tune-up too?

Yes just Chambers. TH610 donā€™t really need the driver tuneup kit. They already have the most felt included by default of all the Fostex range.

2 Likes

OK and thanks for the why!

Getting closer to doing the Mod (ā€¦maybe ?)

The chambers are still not expected for another 4 weeks, but the cable I ordered from Hart Audio has arrived and just today I ordered a set of the Dekoni rings - just in case. I have not yet picked out any different pads (besides the Lawtonā€™s that came with the tune-up), think Iā€™ll wait on those.

I have not applied the tune-up yet, Iā€™m debating if it is necessary. Also, Iā€™ve been reconsidering the whole mod (I know a little too late now), but the stock 610 is sounding really, really good on the v281. I might just want to keep it stock. However, Iā€™m getting a different DAC to pair with the v281 so I will wait and see how the stock 610 sounds first with the modified source before making a final decision.

1 Like

It will only sound even better after the full mod. I might have a new pad to recommend in a few days, but right now I still rec the Ori hybrid.

1 Like

When I first modded my X00 I did just the driver tune up and had a brief listen with stock cups. My memory is the treble smoothed out and sounded more natural overall. The mids also came forward just a bit. The chambers made a bigger difference but the tube up just seemed to smooth and tighten the overall presentation.

1 Like

I need to do some more listening, but the Yaxi alcantara pads might tame the treble just enough for your Lawton purple hearts. Like I said, I need to test more, but so far Iā€™m liking them.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the yaxi alcantara for about a month now. I donā€™t find it tames the treble much at all. I had to add a layer of foam to filter some of the treble out. I also had to use really large attenuation rings to get the bass to acceptable levels. I reverted to Lawton Pads. Of courseā€¦your mileage may vary

From my initial listening the Yaxis are a bit MORE bassy (boosted at ~50hrz) with my Ovaltine attenuation rings. Iā€™m not sure about the treble, but there is something different in the upper half of the FR.

the bass is lower for me, but I am using a TH610, so the driver is a bit different if you have a TH-X00 or whatever driver you have. either way, I felt the sound was disjointed as it lowerd the upper mids and moved the treble boost from the lower treble to the mid and upper treble. It also completely crapped on the lower mids from around 250 Hz to 400.

That might be whatā€™s happening in the treble, a bit less upper mids, less lower treble, and more upper treble. And yes, Iā€™m using am X00 with the Lawton cups and tune up.

I must say though, these are just so comfy.

The hole size is nice, but I hate suede. It pulls on my beard and makes me sweat more than leather surprisingly. I try to avoid velour, suede or alcantara at all costs.