šŸ”· Lawton Mods for Fostex Biodynamic-Driver Headphones

After some more discussion with Mark regarding cup signatures I went with a type 4, specifically the instrument grade Ribbon Bubinga. I would have loved to get the waterfall or the exhibition grade ribbon, but the grade I got was on sale and the price gap between it and the higher ups is not something I can justify, itā€™s all about the sound at the end of the day anyway.

I got the level two package and Iā€™ll be shipping my headphones off for their upgrade shortly.

4 Likes

YOU CANā€™T HAVE MY CUPS!!! LoL

If you got the ribbon bubinga that is pictured on the currently available page, itā€™s very pretty, but not as pretty as my waterfall bubinga. LoL

6 Likes

Yup, the ones on the available page.

Waterfall definitely has more of the look that I like, the flowing element rather than the more clearly formed lines. Iā€™m happy with the ribbon though. Hard to go wrong, he does really good work on these things.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorta partial the Museum Koaā€™s Mark just made for me ā€œattached are pics of your cups, congrats on one of the best pairs weā€™ve run.ā€ - They shipped yesterday so I should have them in house pretty soon.

Those really are a good looking set!

1 Like

Completed the driver tune-up for the TH610
LDM_L LDM_R

Installed the new chambers

Ignore the coffee table - itā€™s in the ā€œmanā€ cave and well, I should be better at picking upā€¦ Trying to find some better lighting.

9 Likes

They are beautiful !! Very well done Sir!

2 Likes

Very niceā€¦ but how do they sound? :slight_smile:

1 Like

What for device is it do have in the Background? I see a Apollo and the other?

Initially I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. They do sound wonderful, but before I was able to complete this mod I purchased a TH900mk2 Limited Edition Pearl White with the anniversary tuning, and WOW, those phones are a game changer and set the bar really high. The energy, dynamics and speed from the 1.5T drivers is really something to be reckoned with. Add to that the Fostex anniversary tuning applied to those phones with a smoothed treble, raised mids (low, middle, and upper) and the well controlled bass that extends down deep, they over took me and the result was that I was initially underwhelmed with the TH610 level 2 Lawton.

As with all things for me it does take me a while to adapt and appreciate ā€œchangeā€ as well as eliminate preconceptions.

What the Lawton mod did for the TH610 in summary, was raise it to the level of a TH900mk2 accomplishing many of the same things, smoothing treble, enhancing midrange and tightening up the bass adding control and detail. It is almost too similar now to the TH900mk2 and yet, still not exactly the same and that is where my disillusionment manifested. I was thinking ā€œThese donā€™t have the the bass I expected, the treble is a touch ā€œcrunchyā€ still and the timbre not as natural sounding (to me)ā€. However, after I gave the new Lawtonā€™s more time and stopped comparing them to the TH900mk2 directly, I felt much better about them and started appreciating them for what the are.

Now, comparing the TH610 Lawton to the D5000 Lawton, this is where the 610 comes into itā€™s own. The D5000 is an all out bass cannon and super fun. The TH610 Lawton takes that to another level. Itā€™s still bassy but a ā€œgrown-upsā€ bass cannon not so bloomy more control - Itā€™s not ā€œalways onā€. There is better decay, better speed that allows for more bass detail while still providing that fun factor. The 610 mids are clear, more linear and forward than the D5000. Not exponentially so, but still more prominent. Treble region, is very close between the 2, with a lean going towards the TH610 as being warmer.

With all that I said it may appear that I am negative, thatā€™s not the case. I like the phone and if I had not heard the TH900mk2 PW, I am confident that Iā€™d be gushing all over it. It does sound great.

TL:DR
Iā€™ll need to spend more time with them and also allow for some of my obvious brain bias to dissipate before I can truly comment.

4 Likes

Everyoneā€™s impressions are super helpful. I recently just did the driver side mod on my Purpleheart. Maybe Iā€™m hearing what I want to hear but I feel like the mids are a bit more forward and instrument separation has improved. I emailed Mark and he said he should have some PH champers in stock within the next few months. Iā€™m going to hold out for those, I just love how the purpleheart wood looks.

Plus that gives me some extra time to saveā€¦ kinda want to try the Rebel Amp with the headphones and try some different pads. I have Eikons but I think Iā€™m going to order a pair of Ori Hybrid and see what the talk is about. I have dekoni attenuation rings from when I tried the TH-900 pads on them forever ago and didnā€™t like them. However, I just moved so I now need to search for them this weekend lol.

1 Like

The purpleheart are really nice cups, probably not my favourite looks wise, but they sound very good. Theyā€™re currently my favourite full-size headphones.

Is there a reason why youā€™re thinking specifically the Rebel Amp? I personally really like the RNHP & BF2 with mine.

Iā€™ve read the Rebel Amp has a warmer sound and was hoping that maybe could tame a bit of the highs. The other amp I was looking at was the RNHP. Iā€™ve only heard great things about it. Plus Neve is a legend.

The RNHP is really nice, I donā€™t have any issues with the highs personally, although I have a modded E-MU which I think has less pronounced highs compared to the x00s to begin with. Another warm amp to consider in that sort of price range new is the Jot 2 from what Iā€™ve heard about it. And if youā€™re ok with used, the Violectric V200 could be a nice pairing.

WHAT!?!? When I talked to Lawton he said he was done making cups with purple heart and blood wood because itā€™s to difficult to get the color to come out right.

He told you he was making another batch with purple heart?

I thought the V200 would be out of my price range but they are cheaper used than I thought. Iā€™ll have ot look more into that. Yeah Iā€™ve heard great things about the Jot 2 if running balanced . I feel like there are a bunch of great amps in that $500 range. Makes it hard to choose!

Yup! I asked him if he still made the PH and he said, ā€œYes we make Purpleheart, but it will be some months before a pair will be ready.ā€

I read that he stopped (in this thread) but I still wanted to ask because I figured the worst that would happen is he would say no. Looks like we may be getting more!

1 Like

Damnit! I already got my chambers back in November.

Well I guess Iā€™ll have to get a set of TH-900s and get some purple heart cups for those. LoL

1 Like

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m rocking these days and yeah, they are quite a step up from X00 base :+1:

2 Likes

That was (mostly) a joke. Donā€™t tempt me further.

4 Likes