Let’s talk about funk

Hi there!

I’d like to hear what you guys are listening to.
At the moment, I’m in love with Lettuce, and have been for quite a while now.

Maybe you have some recommendations for some old school funk?

A lot of New Wave could be pretty funky. But it was funky with keyboards. Duran Duran for instance. Thomas Dolby. Talking Heads…

6 Likes

Have you ever heard of Living Color? American rock band, with a touch of funk.
I grew up in the 70’s loving hard rock with all my friends. Favourite band was Led Zeppelin.

Meanwhile at home in the 70’s, my aunt was a huge soul/Motown fan and turned me onto that in a big way.

Then come the 80’s and I find a kick ass rock band consisting of black guys with some funk. I was Hooked for like the first four albums. Check them out and not just the hits:

5 Likes

Midnight Driiverrrr

1 Like

The Gap Band, You Dropped a Bomb on Me. Pure funk performance with timpani drums that just kill it on a high end system.

Parliament, Flashlight. The essence of the genre. I wore this 12" out.

8 Likes

I had a thought the other day while watching this girl despite her looking as if she’s 15 years old; Funk is something that’s in your soul as a musician and you either got it or you don’t. Look at how much extra she give it. Bootsy would approve.

Vulfpeck

Bootsy Collins’ bass lines

8 Likes

Maybe not full on funk by definition, but pretty damn funky:

2 Likes

Ohio Players - Funky Worm

2 Likes

that album is on spotify and has a lot of the classics

2 Likes

Tower of Power is also worth mentioning, and especially the bassline on this track is just crazy good.

5 Likes

Vulfpeck is probably one of my favorite groups right now doing shit different really fun community of musicians

Never really got into funk besides newer artists I already listened to

I kinda would categorise as psychedelic funk

Found a little gem here with Bootsy Collins talking 'bout James Brown.

2 Likes

Whoa there is life in this thread, Goovy!

Edwin Birdsong, “Rising Sign”; featuring the dearly departed guitarist Ronnie Drayton (R.I.P.):

1 Like

AWB - “Love Your Life”

2 Likes