Let's talk about eBikes

I’m looking for something affordable that has a high max weight capacity. so far I’ve found Lectric to have the best solutions with their XPedition supporting up to 440lbs n the XP-Trike up to 415lbs, which is what I’m leaning towards the most.

what do you get? how much was it and what made you choose it over the others?

the cost for them is frankly ridiculous…

Did some reading on the eBikes on local forums. Could not agree more on the cost part.
The more experienced eBikers tells to avoid all the cheap ones and usually lists the issues with them and then you can find topics with the mentioned issues. So they are correct.
Then and finally find the motors and parts that are considered good on a "good"ish eBike… and here come the high costs.
So no eBike on shopping list. Yeat.
The company would offer a leasing deal but im still not sure. Sure i would save like 20-30% on price but still paying a good…ish eBike for 3-4 years is something.

1 Like

yeah! one of the most popular mid-line drives can be had for $900 CAD…or $1500ish with battery n front sprocket / gear. >.<

The “cheap” one here are under $1500 that should be avoided.
The Mid-tier bikes are around $1500-3000.
Very good ones or more special ones $3000 → and more.

Month ago there was 2023 - Magazine Test “Best cheap eBike $1900”… so under $2000 is considered Cheap… yea, right! Ridiculous if anything.

The ones i was looking were “direct drive” and mid-engined or engine is at pedals. Not a single cheap one… not really even in the mid-tier. Still being legal at speeds 25 kmh / 15 mph bikes that dont need road insurances.

1 Like

I started looking at these a few years back when I found out they might be the lowest-emissions mode of transport, and especially lower than walking and classic bikes because those run on food, and your metabolism isn’t exactly optimized to turn food into movement. :slight_smile:

But back then I could see a solution that seemed within reach even price-wise, in the form of conversion kits for classic bikes. Didn’t jump in right away, postponed other fixes I had to do first on the ol’ bike as well, come 2022 when I searched again there was no longer a conversion kit in sight. (Or not the motor-in-the-pedals-hub type I figured was the right one to get.) Maybe they proved too unreliable and flopped as a whole product category, dunno, but that seemed like the only affordable solution. (I didn’t want full-drive or whatever it’s called, just electric assist.)

@abm0 they’re called mid-drive hubs and there are lots of them out there as they are the recommended motor vs hub drives. tons of kits out there for them. I don’t know what they would run in USD…but kits with the motor, battery and gear / sprocket usually run about $1500 CAD.

Nah that’s prohibitive, probably why I was left with the impression they didn’t exist anymore. :laughing: What I remember was somewhere sub-500-750 USD I think.

1 Like

perhaps lower wattage models…which could still be available, but 500w+ is the minimum recommended, so that’s what I was looking for when I spotted what I did.

One thing as a personal issues is that i like styling, shapes and looks so the eBike should also look nice. To my taste and combined with the other factors i would want…
Like this would be ok. Pretty simple, detachable battery, peddle-drive with direct drive engine.
Does not have suspension parts no need for mountain bikes just street biking.
$5500… Nope

Or this but dont like rear tray…

Being $4700… still Nope.