Let's talk about power equipment for your audio gear

Lol well in the application they are typically deployed in noise typically isn’t a concern

Found us an expert! Nice!

Your stage then, bye :wink:

1 Like

But do Online UPS also handle Interference, or are they just high-end protection gear from a power surge etc.?

HA! by no means an expert…but I know enough to be trouble. like wanting to know what does CyberPower, Tripp Lite, APC or Eaton make that’s comparable to the PS Audio gear and whether they have similar costs or if you’re being fleeced because it’s done in the name of ‘audio’.

Do tell :yum: :yum:

That is a damn good question.
As bottom off the barrel Online UPS by ABB (Yes, ABB the guys that make transformers for power plants, Robot arms, etc.) including a 1kVA battery cost 1,000€, I have some questions to all the “audiophile power magic”-guys.

1 Like

well…M0N likes his audio rock and he has said repeatedly that the PS Audio power station made for better audio. :wink:

2 Likes

I just asked my Tripp Lite rep, in addition to my CyberPower rep, as mentioned earlier, what they have thats comparable to the power stations from PS Audio.

I expect my Tripp Lite rep will loop in their engineers who will take a close look at what these power stations really are and what they do before they come back with a recommendation on what they have that does the same thing.

it will be neat to see if they’re priced better, showing PS Audio is gouging / fleecing or whether they are similarly priced and learn that PSA is providing good value. I hope for the latter…cause snake oil sucks. :frowning:

4 Likes

The feedback will be very interesting.

Edit: Semi-related and to preempt someone asking:
No, a small generator will not be cleaner than the power grid.

1 Like

They rectify the incoming power then use an FPGA to modulate it back into a consistent Sine Wave.
Hence the term regenerator.
I doubt that’s useful to any industry outside of very high end audio, and possibly high end measurement gear.

The reason it can affect the way something sounds is the same reason that more expensive components have ludicrously expensive power supplies and go to great lengths to isolate the component from any noise in the incoming power.

SET valve amps literally couple the positive supply voltage directly to the output via a transformer, so the cleaner the better.

You’d have to have a system in the mid+ 10’s of thousands of dollars range to justify the $4K for the PS Audio regenerator, but if your already spending that, and and it provides an audible improvement even if it’s 0.1% why wouldn’t you.

1 Like

Same as an online UPS
The difference is the lack of marketing wank.

FPGAs are good when:

• Ordering custom ASICs is not viable/no ASIC for your application exists
  • Doing jobs on massive paralel data streams
  • Hardware implementations of certain algorythms

Let me assure you there are a couple thousand different ASICs for DC-AC inverters available. And even then, any microcontroller with analog input pins would do.

generators are known for horrible power issues!

Oh man, this is going to cause from controversy, but I got a Furman PST Conditioner and it sounded nice and clean. After messing around, my system sounded significantly better with everything plugged directly into the wall. The conditioner made everything sounded choked. I thought it sounded its fullest directly into the wall.
Now I just make it a habit of unplugging everything before I leave though.

Veritas, is your stuff on a good surge protector?

As I mentioned, directly into the wall. I used to have it on a protector and upgraded that to a conditioner. I didn’t like the sound of either one.

risky if you have a power event while in use!

That’s my only worry. Otherwise, I leave everything unplugged. The plug is a GFI if that’s worth a damn

1 Like

I’m using the Furman PST-8D for my workstation and it eliminate a bad distortion I had from my system’s USB. I’ve heard about this issue of it affecting the overall sound quality but I’m afraid at this point, I have no choice because the other option is to spend a lot more on better power conditioner or hearing that nasty distortion :sweat_smile:

I use Apc Back-ups XS1500’s on all 4 pc’s that I currently run. I have been a firm believer in this stuff for many years. I badly toasted my wife’s pc years ago. ( also before I learned about backing stuff up) Too many years of finances GONE!!. Every pc is higher end and I dont want to replace them by having a power glitch take them out.

1 Like

GFI’s are to protect the user, not the equipment.