Let's talk about power equipment for your audio gear

I think you are spot on.

The reason for the APC Online UPS can yield pure power was exactly the sinewave. whether or not it is artificial he didn’t mention.
You don’t mention it, but I guess the CP products that create oure sinewaves are not creating a lot of noice?

Edit: It sure has some bad reviews on the directnine.com webpage… :grimacing:
Search Icon

You guys inspired me…
160€ / 170USD Upgrade Powersupply for my DAC…
What could go wrong?

Edit.: It has coil whine… My Luck strikes again.

2 Likes

not having any statements to read, I wouldn’t trust those reviews at all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just curious, what do you mean? If you scroll down it shows the reviews

missed the button to reveal them.

my two are 4 years old now and not a hiccup. and I have an 850VA CyberPower that’s about 10 years old and the original battery still lasts 20 minutes with my networking gear on it.

You should try the Gold ones.
Can’t go wrong with nice Gold colored power supply. lol It has to give the sound that little bit of gold purity and shine to it. duoble lol.

Double as a nice weapon in a pinch. Or building material

1 Like

In my situation, power sags during the summer were a big concern. I really never gave it much thought until a 2 year old tv died. It was connected to a older surge protector. I had always noticed that the UPS that my main pc was on would switch between battery assist and AC with voltage dips as low as 108 often throughout the summer.
So my concern more than anything was a stable power supply. I have been using this combination for a while without problems… And on my main audio system, I do not hear anything odd going on using this combination. I had actually considered just using an UPS, but the noise factor was not desirable.

APC LE 1200 Line-R Voltage Regulator

This thing is built like a tank…
Military Surplus power distribution strip… No longer available?

2 Likes

Some initial thoughts on a Furman M-8x2 power conditioner after a couple-ish hours listening…

The sound is cleaner overall. It seems like the imaging tightened up a bit, the soundstage widened a little, and there might even be smaller subtle details like reverb now a bit more audible. The dynamics may be reduced just a touch, though.

I also am noticing what is likely a USB ground loop. I’ve never heard it before, and it goes away when I disconnect my DACs from USB and run them optical only. Neither an Audioquest Jitterbug nor an iFi iSilencer 3.0 filtered it out. So, I ordered an iDefender 3.0 which is specifically a ground loop isolator. Why talk about this with a power conditioner? Well, best I can figure this USB ground loop was always there lurking in the background amongst a sea of noise. The Furman cleaned up everything else in the power signal to the point where I could hear the ground loop. Before it probably got lost in all the noise that is the old wiring in the duplex we’re currently renting. After more listening I may have more to say, and will of course report back on if the iDefender helps with the ground loop.

3 Likes

I have a couple of these around the house now and while I didn’t consider id hear a sonic difference I think they’re pretty nice and a fair price … glad youre liking it

LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES!!! this is a high quality $99 cable! MAI SOUND IS BETTAR!!!

/hyperbole off :wink: