LG v30 thinQ static noise

I have recently noticed that my LG V30 has a static background noise ONLY when the Hi-Fi quad DAC is turned on. It is nor loud but noticeable and I find it strange that the Hi-Fi DAC mode has noise like this while the standard mode is fine. Anyone know what this is or who to fix it?

Found this:

"Look: you ever used the “high performance” mode of the WCD9xxx in-built DAC of any previous Android phone ?

This raises up the output but also comes with the cost of higher “white noise” / static, etc. - this in turn is able to drive headphones with a high impedance Ω
The same applies to the dedicated “quad dac” - it has high output by default and thus is to be experienced best with “high quality” (well, most high quality headphones have higher impedance than the very cheap headphones).
There’s a noticeable difference for me when switching between e.g. the EP630, Xiaomi Pistons and the provided B & O Headphones that came along with the V30."

So there is NO issue and there is not really a solution but to use it in the way that it was meant to be used.

Ok so this problem got a lot weirder but I think I know what the cause is now. I’m primarily using my Grado Hemp LTD Edition headphones (38ohm) for this testing. Last night the noise was very noticeable and I had the volume set to 12 with the quad dac on. This morning I have had at least 2 occasions where I plug in the headphones and the noise is gone and I have to set the volume to 25 for the same loudness. Then I unplug and replug the headphones and the noise is back and I have to turn it back down to 12.

What I think is happening is that the high impedance mode is erroneously turning on even though I’m using a lower impedance headphone.

1 Like

I can confirm it is the quad dac that is the problem as There is no noise at all when I use the same headphones with the same songs on my Asgard 3 or when I switch off the quad dac (or the high impedance mode decides not to turn on, which is rare). Does anyone know of a way to manually switch the high impedance mode off? The quad dac does sound better and I like the 75 step volume slider much more than the standard 15 steps, but the noise is annoying.

If I had to guess from this thread:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/themes/fix-impedance-mode-time-t3729043

Instead of ctl name="Es9018 HEADSET TYPE" value="2" /> you put value=“1”

1 Like

Oh goody. I have to do proper modifications to the phone to fix this. I guess I can just use my Xd-05 for any serious listening. Thanks for the help.

Can’t you just turn it off? I just plugged in my headphones and it came on. I then went to settings, then to sound and then to Hi-Fi Quad DAC and turned it off.

I can tuen off the hifi quad dac. But there us a separate feature of the quad dac called high impedance mode. This ups the output for high impedance headphones (>50ohm) but for some reason turns on when I use my 38ohm Grado, so I get a noticeable noise floor.

The reason I want to use the quad dac is because it sounds better and has a more incremental volume slider, but the noise floor from the erroneous high impedance mode is an issue.

Update: I found a way to get the normal/low impedance mode on my Grado (the only headphone effected by this it seems). I have to use a 3.5mm extension and plug in a low impedance headphone (Tin T2 in this case), unplug that headphone from the extension, an plug in the Grado. This puts it into low impedance mode and I now need to use about 25 for my volume instead of about 12 and the noise is gone.

Edit: it works with just pluging in the extension first and then the Grado.

2 Likes

Nice :+1:

I just bought a nice looking 3 pack of short 3.5mm extensions (like 1 inch of cable) to use with this.

1 Like

Now that I have them in hand, I would not recoment those little extensions. First off I didn’t notice that they are TRRS instead of TRS, so they pop when I plug in my Grados and my phone thinks there is a mic when there is not. The big reason I would not recomend them is the male plug has a sharp and cheap feeling plastic body to the connector with NO strain relief at all. I’m certain these will not last, especially with the weight of a Grado cable pulling on them.

If anyone has a good recommendation for a short (around 6 inch or less) 3.5mm male to female TRS I would love to know.

Would something like this work?

Not with the Grado cable. It’s just such a heavy ass cable that I want a short length of cable to act as a buffer of sorts between the headphone jack and the main cable. This is the best looking thing I could find. It’s a little longer than I want but probably my best option.

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Extension-Ruaeoda-Shielded-Auxiliary/dp/B07Q6N8YM7/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=headphone+extension+cable+short&qid=1595004116&sr=8-4

1 Like