Listening to tonight (Part 1)

Hard to top a good nostalgic listening experience. On a pair of powered SHP9500 with a 2db bass shelf below 160Hz, and it reminds me of the sound of my parents’ Pioneer Hi-Fi system in the family room ( also from the late 70s ). I should mix in the rattling window sound and it would be perfect.

5 Likes

Sorry accidentally flagged this one. No reason it needs to be

3 Likes

BF2 → HPA-1 → LA900 PH

2 Likes
5 Likes

Welcome to HFGF :smiley: nice first post :+1:

2 Likes

https://tidal.com/browse/track/104642805

1 Like

Listening tonight on a new addition on the system. Or I should say a re-integration of existing assets. This will be a good test for it. The SU-8 is back!

AMUHD > LG V40 > SMSL SU-8 > SMSL SP200 > Focal Elegia

1 Like

EDIT: Didn’t realize the upload had a channel imbalance. Replaced with a better one.

3 Likes

do you lie the pairing of the sp200 and elegia?

1 Like

Going straight out from the PC > BF2 > SP200 it’s very good but can be a bit sterile and fatiguing after a while. However, running the chain with PC > BF2 > TA-20 Pre > SP200 makes a huge difference. The sound signature is much more enjoyable.

And now I have created this new chain

AMUHD > LG V40 > SMSL SU-8 > SMSL SP200 > Focal Elegia

and it’s shockingly good! I say shocking because I wasn’t expecting that result at all! The Amazon mobile app is really nice and with the Dolby Atmos in play there is even more depth and fullness to the sound signature. It still doesn’t beat the SA-1, at least not on raw performance. But it’s really good. At least to my ear. Take into consideration that I have had no experience with truly “high end” signal chains and amps etc. or $5,000 headphones so I have no way to rate how it stacks up against those things. But that is OK, I am not complaining!

All things considered, yes, I do like these 2 together.

Tidal > Modius > Asgard 3 > AKG K340
How much money do I have to spend on a new headphone that will offer the instrument separation and sort of “holographic image” that these ancient headphones offer? They’re not perfect, some quirks, but they do some things extremely well - offer wow factor. Just put some new hair ties in them and Brainwavz XL Microsuede, oh-so-comfy.

Tidal > Modius > Loxjie P20 > Sundara

Tidal > Modius > Asgard 3 > DT880

2 Likes

Tidal > Modius > A3 > Audiosource Amp200/Crown XLS1000 > AR Holographic Imaging M2/Elemental Designs 13Ov.2 Sealed 2ft-ish
:sparkling_heart:

1 Like
3 Likes

Honestly i still keep a mayflower arc in my collection cause the dac on that thing was a bit on the darker side so i mix it in my set up sometimes depending on the headphones or tracks or amp im using atm.

1 Like

https://tidal.com/browse/track/123527348

2 Likes