Looking for a clean, transparent, uncolored DAC for cheap

so youre saying i cant find anything uncolored between 200$ and 1000$? I guess i gotta wait for THX to put out a DAC.

Transients are time-domain. Coloration happens in the frequency domain, so it makes no sense to mention transients as a source of coloration. The real candidates should be noise and distortion. And measurements absolutely exist that show if the noise and distortion will be audible, the complicated part though is you have to take the transducers’ impedance and sensitivity into account (e.g. the Atom produces audible noise, but only through sensitive IEMs).

For me, color means anything that can change the way something sounds compared to the actual source, so that’s why I am bringing up more than just fr and other measurements like distortion. I’m just thinking from actual listening terms

https://www.schiit.com/products/loki

think you are better off getting an eq.

or different headphones.

check out the mini dsp hd.

I think he should try to mess around with some software eq before he buys any hardware eq imo

Also the minidsp hd is pretty neat :+1:

I agree, software cheaper. He just seams hell bent on burning money. But i do not think any dac will lessen the treble high’s like he wants.

I think there are some dacs that can do that, but they sure wouldn’t be transparent and uncolored anymore lol

Yeah, exactly lol. They are far from uncolored, but i think Op needs an r2r dac for the sound hes looking for.

Agreed, a drop airist r2r might be a good idea. Or a soekris 1321 dac

The Modi rolls off treble above about 5K from the measurements I’ve seen, though not by much Review and Measurements of Schiit Modi 3 DAC | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Are you sure the excessive trebble your hearing is coming from the DAC?
What’s the rest of the chain?

2 Likes

I would just assume he doesn’t like the schiit house sound rather then having treble issues

yeah i am with ya. El dac?

That’s a great dac as long as you don’t want balanced

yeah ive tried software EQ’s problem is they dont EQ everything. like Amazon HD. for instance. So i do intend to buy the schiit loki. Kinda funny but when i got my SMSL SP200 THX888 amp it seemed to increase the treble. Ive been thinking of getting the r2r. Though i heard its not a uncolored DAC. I heard its warm and not accurate. Ive also been thinking about the EL DAC from JDS Labs. But i gave in and got the SU8 DAC from SMSL. Since Drop had a sale for 170$. But its gonna take a long time to get here lol. I was hoping for a uncolored cheap DAC. I guess they dont exist.

Well TBH you did get a pretty uncolored dac at s great price. It’s realistically uncolored enough to not really be a problem tbh. It’s very minute after that point

R2R dacs are somewhat accurate but are colored sounding

I think if you got the su-8 I don’t think you really need the El dac

I’m curious…that miniDSP. is it more than just a splitter or is that it?

It’s a dsp in a box tbh, I would just look up all the features

I believe Zeos has done one or two videos about it :slight_smile: It’s “just a splitter” as much as the ES100 is “just a bluetooth adapter”, lol. It does everything.

1 Like

it has Dirac and a full EQ, compressors in it among other things. It looks great but i shied away from it cause it looked complicated. But now im considering it again, especially vs schiit loki. it gives way more customization options.

the regular Minidsp does 24-56 bit / 48 kHz for 95$, which is good but a lot of music the streaming services offer is 24/96 as well as websites selling that resolution for download. the Minidps HD 205$ has 32 bit / 96kHz. which is much better but you’ll be excluded from the 192Hz files offered for download. But i think those are much rarer. Not sure about DSD. Minidsp HD can use a remote 5$

So the Loki has the benefit of not limiting you. and I just love how simple it makes controlling treble and midrange and bass. I hate messing with EQ’s and not being sure which frequencies i need to adjust, afraid i’ll adjust the wrong ones and making more of a change than i need.