Looking for a clean, transparent, uncolored DAC for cheap

DSD would not work unless you converted D2P on the fly

What do you think of all this talk that we can only hear 16bit/44.1kHz and that higher bit rates and frequencies are useless for human hearing Mon?

I mean I really don’t have much to say, it’s nice to have, and it’s not going anywhere. So I think the main differences come down to actually how it was produced and mastered for if there is a significant difference between a 24/96 vs 16/44.1. I don’t really want to get into this argument lol. I would suggest getting a dac capable of high rez formats, but for different reasons. Pretty much a you do you type of situations. I have no strong feelings one way or the other

Regarding music production, I do work in 32 bit 192, but do know that some of the highest regarded adc’s only do up to 16bit 48khz, and that some excellent stuff was mastered in 16 bit 44.1. It really depends on the gear and the person doing the production.

but do you hear a difference?

I probably could not hear a significant difference between the exact same file in 24/192 vs 16/44.1 if I mastered it and down sampled it correctly without an insanely resolving system (which I should have soon lol so I could potentially report back). I can typically tell a difference between a cd release of a song and a hdtracks release or something like that though if the high rez version had been remastered.

Edit: I do think though that I could eventually tell the difference if I trained myself to identify such differences.

Edit 2: Actually I can sometimes, but on some fringe cases. If a track actually has information past 20khz I can tell because I get some sensation that I don’t with a cd quality track. But most of the time not. I can hear reliably up to around 23khz (which alot of my family can as well). I don’t necessarily hear music in that range but I do get a sensation and I can tell stuff is happening up there, which sometimes is cut off on a cd quality track. But this doesn’t happen very often

1 Like

I largely agree, except today’s CD’s are mastered in a way that doesn’t expose the weaknesses of the format. Which is good, but you can probably Master higher resolution tracks differently.
I think you’d have to take a track mastered to show the higher resolution formats strengths to get a significant difference when down sampling.
The weaknesses in CD were readily apparent in early direct transfers of Vinyl masters.
That’s no longer true simply because tracks are mastered for CD playing to it’s strengths.

very interesting. i hadnt taken that into account. but yeah i swear i hear a difference. especially when i started getting equipment and headphones where i hear the differences more easily. I noticed more when i got the 888 amp.

There can also be differences besides mastering in how the dac and software handles higher rez files too, so that could cause a difference. But in theory there really shouldn’t be that big of a difference in sound, but in practice there seems to be a difference most of the time

1 Like

Yup. I swear I even hear a difference in a blind test A/B-ing CD-vs-96khz-vs-192khz… with my 100$ Denon AVR (from 2011?) I got on eBay (“limited” to 24/192), and my HD58Xs. It’s subtle but it’s there. What I search for is just… naturalness. “Is she singing next to me?” And if the answer is yes, it’s the 192khz file. Also, my 2004 recording device has a 192khz upsampling switch. The result of this switch is “holographic sound”.

It’s “just interesting” for me and my cheap stuff. An interesting “etherealness” or “holographic-ness” of hi-res. But yeah, all this is proof for me that DACs are really trying – were really trying, even 15 years ago! – to handle 192khz. So even if you don’t even buy 192khz files, even just sending upsampled mp3s to the DAC, and you might be surprised by what the DAC does.

Depends on the setup but yeah it can make a quality difference

But, uhhh… Yeah, sorry. This thread is about clean, transparent and uncolored stuff. Upsampling would definitely do the opposite (it would just… mess with everything).

Try hi-res files, configure your source for bit-perfect audio, etc.

1 Like

Or perhaps look for a headphone with these properties lol

1 Like

2 Likes

Hello,

I think you would clean set the focus on Esabre chip is inside the Dac.
I think about the Chip is input definend 50% the Sound comes out.

Many say it
Akk chips are warm and clear.
Wolfson to
The Esabre are clean and neutral.Not so Warm as the other.

For me personally is a dac with Esabre to analytical ,to Clean.
When i hear that i miss love in the Music.it‘s nothing for me.

But i have heard a Esabre chip can heard warm too.
When the producer make good Work in the his circuit.

I think you can buy this one

More clean i think can you have with it.

1 Like

thanks. but the ODAC uses a AK chip. Saber sounds right up my alley. Are there any saber DACS out there?

Oh yes then I confused something. Yes there are a few of smsl for example. Mass Drop also has some. Otherwise look for Dacs have an Esabre chip inside in the specification.There are some dacs on the market.Maybe you like a Matrix Audio ipro mini S2. I have long heard but I had been too analytic.It is good on Stereo setup and has great features.
Maybe too expensiv in the Budget.

well ESS tech puts out the Saber DAC right? the Su8 has as ESS chip, is that not a Saber?

I found this:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=29512

But ive never liked the USB DAC. i get the feeling they are inferior to a desk DAC

This is a Mobile DAC:
https://www.optoma.com/us/product/udac5/

But same as above

what about Xilinx DACS? the Chord Mojo just droped its price to 350$ and it uses the Xilinx Artix. I can also get one off ebay for 200$

And what about Burr Brown chips? The ifi Zen uses this

Ah! the Topping D10 and D50 uses Saber! Is the D50 that much better than the D10? And whats teh difference between the D50 and the D50s?

The Topping D30 uses a Cirrus DAC chip! Whats a Cirrus sound like? Is Wolfson a DAC chip made by Cirrus?

Look no farther… Dayton audio USB 24bit/96khz DAC 01. It’s like 26 dollars. Its clean, pairs well perfectly with my liquid spark. Personally, the DAC01/spark setup sounds better than my previous Schitt jotunheim build.

Me thinks people spend too much on DACS…

lolwut? sorry i find it hard to believe that gonna meet my midlevel standards

Didn’t you buy the su-8? That’s a higher end sabre chip. Also imo the actual chip itself matters like 20% and the rest is the implementation imo