Looking for a decent headset around 100-120 euros or less

Hello everyone:)
So, i recently wanted to upgrade my audio setup. i’m practically starting from zero here, as i’ve always used 30 euros headsets/ wired earbuds(i use the wired marshall Mode Stereo In-Ear right now and i have to say, really good for 30 bucks) and was content.
but i wanna a little more now. i went for the audio technica g1wl since i wanted a sort of an all rounder, able to let me enjoy my gaming sessions as well as music on the train/bedroom, and, well…it didn’t go well, and i’ll send them back to amazon tomorrow morning after a rather disappointing afternoon, filled with really overbearing bass/lows( not sure witch one of these words is better. english isn’t my first language so correct me if need be!).
so i was wondering where to go from here. i’m searching for a more balanced sound: right now i’m using the Edifier 1280T as my speakers, and i love how they sound, so something that sounds similar?
i checked the youtube channel “Z reviews”, and also checked the “hifi guides” site, the one where you can see a bunch of headsets and other stuff by selecting the price range and other characteristics, very helpful for narrowing down the list!
I now think the cooler master 752 might be a safe bet while also saving some money, but i’d like to hear some other suggestions before buying anything :slight_smile:
thanks in advance!

What genres of music do you listen to most and what types of games do you play most?

Also, there are fundamentally two types of over-ear headphone: closed-back which provides a bit of isolation from sounds around you and in reverse prevents leakage of sound from you to other people. The other is open-back which do neither of those things but make it easier to design a headphone with a better over-all sound signature.

If you only need isolation for the train commute, you might be better to just use an inexpensive closed-back headphone for that. In my experience trains overwhelm the sound of a headphone particularly in the low frequencies. Trouble is closed-back headphones naturally have a lot of bass, making it difficult for designers to reduce. Plus, most consumers want that extra bass, so the motivation to reduce it isn’t there either.

Bass is used more often but both are perfectly fine.

Thanks for the reply!
I usually listen to alternative rock, rock, metal, and j-pop music, with the occasional jazz and r&b

I don t play fps, usually I play action and rpg titles. So I Don t need to hear footsteps or big explosions.

As for open versus closed back, I m leaning a little more the closed back models, but I wouldn’t mind trying an open back. Witch one of the two feels more like “wow it s like I’m in the recording studio with the band, I can hear every instrument Cristal clear?” not expecting a miracle for 100-120 euros, but that is the direction I d like to take.

Forn the train commute I can settle with the earbuds I already have, they do a decent job at isolating me when the music is going, so noise cancelation isn t that important.

1 Like

You’ve now supplied all the information people need to make meaningful recommendations. I don’t have experience in your price range but there is a bit I can add while we wait for others to weigh in.

All else being equal the answer is open back, almost by definition. But all else is rarely equal. For example, if you could find a used Sennheiser HD 650 at your price point you would get a well-balanced frequency response from bass to treble with above-average but not great detail clarity plus good dynamics. The 650 has two weaknesses. The sound stage is a small area close to your head; plus, the very lowest notes, called sub-bass, are too quiet. [Dynamics means the ability to reproduce quiet-to-loud changes. Sound stage is the ability to re-create the spatial arrangement of the sound sources, such as musicians and instruments, in three dimensions.]

Within your price range the closed-back AKG K361 is the obvious suggestion, but like everything it has strengths and weaknesses. Importantly, while it does have a fairly strong bass emphasis, it doesn’t have the usual problem of maintaining the exaggerated bass loudness into the lower mid-range. A thorough review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbaxwaDuVHY.

The reviewer may confuse you with unfamiliar vocabulary. Simply ask here for clarification. One word he uses is warm. In audio this means the lower-pitched sounds are louder than the higher-pitched sounds.

1 Like

thanks a lot man, i’ll wait to see if someone else pitches in, in the mean time i’ll look up the models you suggested :smiley: and thanks for explaning some of the vocabulary!

edit: for the sake of the discussion, there is a sale right now for the beyerdinamics DT 990 PRO from 150 to 119 euros, entering my price range. i’ve heard good comments about that company, so if by any chance they also represent a good choice for me please let me know if you know them:)

Headset the cooler master mh751/2 isn’t bad but I’d go with a dedicated mic on a boom arm or a samson go mic connect you can prop up on the a monitor and your then free to use any headphone.

Cheap DAC would be an FX-Audio DAC-X6 which has high gain jumpers and outputs about 1000mw which is great for $65.

Again using a dedicated mic will give you lots of freedom. It’s worth pushing the budget a bit higher in the long run.

There are lots of options under $200 like the DT 880. Utilize eBay and the used market to make some saving.
Used Sennheisers hd518 etc. can go for $40-60 on eBay.

If I had 120 for a new setup I’d go DAC-X6 and maybe a shp9500 both of which can be got on Aliexpress. The you just need the mic

A different variant add $20 for FX-Audio both are fine.

Dilvpoetry X6 Pro

FX-AUDIO DAC-X6

SHP9500 (open back)
US $63.25 28%OFF | Philips SHP9500

Mic

I hadn t thought of buying a cheaper headset with a dac. I ll look up your suggestions, thanks a lot:D

1 Like

how about a Akg k361 on sale at 67 euros + the FX-AUDIO DAC-X6 Mini you suggested?

AKG are a decent brand too just check the reviews and see if the sound is what you’d think you’d like.

My first headphone was a superlux 668B and the DAC-X6 so something like an AKG would probably be a step up.

Also consider upgrading pads for comfort which can be got on Amazon, Ali etc.

1 Like

i’m sorry if this is not a “headset”,
but the first time i listen to a good “earphone”,
i’m instantly hooked, sounds better than my 400$ fullsize headphone (sennheiser hd650, hifiman 4xx), and I can wear it 8+ hours and even sleep with it,
for starter Tinhifi T2plus or even better ISN D02,
for gaming you can pin point footstep behind you or at any angle easily,
my daily driver is Fiio FH3 with btr5,

ordinary gaming headset is like a 60hz 1080p monitor,
good earphone is a 240hz 1440p.

1 Like

many esports player use an earphone inside their headset,
because of headset sponsorship,
crappy sounding headset with a good earphone,

1 Like

wow thanks a lot :smiley: i’ll definetly check those models out as well!

edit: can you perhaps tell me the sound quality difference between the Tinhifi T2plus and these from marshall?(i’m currently using these):

https://www.amazon.it/Marshall-Auricolare-Stereo-Remote-Control/dp/B00OHVZTTK/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=marshall+mode+eq&qid=1601481397&sr=8-4

If you are going $50 +/- IEM’s I would go regular T2 or Blon BL-03, CVJ CSN.

1 Like

Do the t2 suffer a lot from not using any dac or Amp since I d be using them on the phone while on the train?

Not as much but you can get a cheap sonata tempotec usb-c DAC for $20-25 and it will sound better.

1 Like

thanks a lot for the informations :smiley: