Looking for a upgrade (if needed?)

Hello!
So I use a pair of DT 1990 pros and just recently upgraded to a pair of OG focal clears.

I still am using a mayflower ark mk 2, since I used to need a headphone hack, which now I don’t need anymore.

My question: would I benefit from an upgrade to an jds EL II stack (for example)?
Would I get better detail, soundstage, imaging etc out of it?

I am relatively new to the dac/amp game and really have no idea if or if not it would be a noticeable upgrade.

I usually use it for gaming and for music and my budged would be around 500€ the less the better of course, you know the drill ^^

I would really appreciate some advice from someone who knows what he’s talking about and maybe someone who owned the Ark and upgraded for example.

Thank you

That’s tough because the arc uses a DSP and isn’t necessarily a traditional DAC like the EL2. So would you hear a difference? probably. Will it be a massive difference? Hard to say since everyone hears different. What I can say is the EL2 stack is one of the cleanest sounding single ended stacks on the market that can compete with stacks that are a few hundred dollars more. It is neutral but not clinical and pairs with many headphones very well. The clears would sound fantastic on them. The Elex sounded great on mine.
Personally I would save up for a singxer SA1 and a bifrost 2 for a very audible difference that would lean warmer and would still be very resolving.

What exactly is the difference between a dac and a dsp?
Ah well the recommendation for the bifrost and SA1 sounds good but I way above what I am willing to spend. Like 900 for the bifrost and 600 for the SA1 really would hurt ngl

For sure, it’s just a thought of making a significant and synergistic upgrade vs smaller lillypad hops I think he’s recommending.

Used RNHP + Allo Revolution might be a good not crushingly expensive setup.
The amount of soundstage one is going to get from Clears is not ever going to be epic, mind you.

1 Like

DSPs can be programmed in many ways to boost and cut frequency at specific volumes and/or change filters in the same way. DACs generally aren’t programed that way in the entry level market.
How do you like the clears on the arc? Anything you want to change? They aren’t hard to drive headphones so they should work well with the arc but do scale with higher tier gear.

Yep you nailed what I was trying to say. Thank you.

1 Like

Sounds reasonable but the only issue is that the bifrost 2 isn’t available in Europe… and importing from The us will make this even more costly due to VAT

The denafrips ares 2 is an option as well but that ups the price/budget as well. Oh Topping D90 OG could fit the bill but it’s not a huge step up from the EL2 DAC in terms of sound quality but it has a huge set of features. D90SE might be a smidge better if you believe the reviews.

$385.50 in Europe with Nirvana SMPS

1 Like