Looking for closed back headphone upgrade

To be honest, I didn’t like those (k240) either

I also own k240’s and they are completely different cans .but if you don’t wanna risk it I also understand.
Edit : I really like my k240

i like my k240 but htey sound awful on my dap compared to desktop paired with smsl m6 dac/amp

That’s most likely because the Smsl M6 is putting out more power than the Fiio M7.

Edit: the smsl m6 also has an output impedence of 10 ohms (which is a lot) and the fiio has an output impedance of 2 ohms (much more reasonable). This would cause the smsl m6 to adjust the frequency response of the akg more than the fiio would.

I own a pair of Meze Noir and I think they fit a lot of music you like to listen to. Keep in mind the bass is elevated and they’re very chill. Even with the sound cranked up, they never get intense. Pads are warm and it’s something to consider. Otherwise, very comfortable, fun, and great looking headphones.

The 177X might also be a great option (although outside your budget and twice the price of the Meze Noir).

I’m surprised no one has said Modhouse argons. They should be at the top of that price range depending on options, used ones could be a good option as well.

Argons are semi-open which can be a problem depending on the office space. Also, not good on the go without a portable amp.

1 Like

Yeah, also kinda large and bulky, not really portable friendly

Ah, I must have skipped over the portable part. My bad!. Depending on your ear size you can pick up a pair of audeze SINE headphones (not iSINE oems). They should be easy to find used. I’ve also heard good things about the audio-technica m40x’s and m60x’s. The m40x’s should be around 80-100 dollars and the m60x’s should be around 170 dollars now. They are rated for on ear but most people find them comfortable and they should be more portable than mese 99’s. Or you can get the takstar pro 82’s (silver) with adjustable bass option or get the coolermaster MH-751s (black) for $70 and just unplug the mic.

If you were interested I found a bundle for an m60x with a case, fiio portable amp and some extra cables for $218

If this topic is still active

I just must say that the 99 Classics is probably the best closed back headphone you can buy for under 1000€/$ or even more.

They look awesome, they are very comfortable and most important: the sound … It’s awesome.

They sound so musical and so much fun.

I must say that I swapped the pads and cables because the sound of these cans be improved even further if you do.

I am using it with an Ifi Zen dac with a low noise power supply, the 4.4mm Meze balanced silver plated upgrade Cable and a pair of dekoni elite sheepskin pads for the 99 Classics.

Even without those modifications the 99 Classics sound great, but now they sound insane.

I really can’t recommend enough getting them.
At 300$/270€ they are and absolute bargain.