Looking for closed, isolating, v-shape, comfy, fun, and durable

In the US, ebay, amazon, and most other places are fine. Budget is sub $200, $300 is really stretching it. I will be public bus traveling around with them, so durability and isolation are important. These will be for music only. I have a Fiio BTR3 and BTR5 (don’t ask why both), as well as a LG G8 ThinQ with a pretty good DAC. I use all 3 at different times for different reasons. If I need to push something more I have a Topping NSX1s. I use the BTR5 at home plugged in as my headphone DAC and amp. For home speakers I have JBL 305s and a Acoustech PL-200.

I currently have Tin T2s and P1s. I like those very much. However I want more bass especially sub-bass as the music I listen to is full of sub bass. I also live in the northern US, around-ear headphones make nice muffs.

The hifiguides recommender shows MSR7, which no longer look like they are made (there’s an update maybe?), also they are more then I’d really want to spend.

Ricardos (ws1100is), are a good price but seem like the highs are backed off compared to the MSR7 according to the forums, but Zeo said the opposite. So now I’m conflicted as to what to get.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Your description just sort of screams beyerdynamic. I’m assuming (from your gear) that you’re probs looking for something that’s not beyer? The usual suspects I can think of are msr7 (ofc), beyer dt770, athm40/50x, AKG 552, dekoni blue, and fostex t50/60rp. Note that while fostex t50/60rp are insane headphones (in more ways than one), they will require a proper headphone amp with more than 1w of power.

2 Likes

DT 770 Pro?
Built like tanks, isolate well.

With the BTR5 I’d recommend the
80ohm if you like your music very loud.
250ohm if you like more modest volume levels or are willing to rewire them balanced.

1 Like

Would any of the v-moda models fit the bill? Don’t like the sound personally but they are very comfy, and its quite rare for me to find headphones comfortable. They certainly have extra bass (although maybe too much).

1 Like

I can recommend you Sony MDR 1a and more so the meze 99 classics for your purposes. I think both are better than dt 770 pro, msr7 and m40/50x. I like the meze 99 as fun headphone.
If the sony and the meze are toi bassy, my firwt pick would be the glorious B&O H6 2nd gen

1 Like

Beyerdynamic DT-770 ticks all your boxes.

1 Like

dt 770 250 ohm should be able to run on those, but for easier to tdrive headphones, the one more triple driver over ears and the meze 99 noirs are also great alternatives

1 Like

:arrow_up_small: DT770’s x1/2/3/4…

1 Like

Thank you all for the suggestions. I ordered a DT-770 Pro 80ohm with grey pads. The scooped out mids, good sub-bass, price, self-repair/modding options and construction seem perfect for me. I know about the possibility that the highs might fall to the more sibilant side, but I generally don’t mind if it’s balanced with good bass.

I used the recommendations here, Zeo’s Review, as well as BadSeed Tech’s review to make my decision.

I did look at the Meze Neo, but I don’t like their style of headband and the Sony’s were outside what I could justify spending. I’m glad I asked here as the main part of the site doesn’t mention the any of the options you all presented.

I do have other questions about it, but I’ll ask in the thread about the 770s.

Thanks again for the help.

2 Likes

funny enough i was looking for this exact kinda thing… just slightly less V shape (so that hihats aren’t sibilant and hurt… so more of a warm V shape)

i’m probably going with the beyers or meze, i hear great stuff about the 1more but also that they are not super comfy because of the pads

I think the audiotechnica ath-m40x with a pad change could probably work well for this whilst being relatively cheap.

1 Like

I personally found the Meze 99 Noir sound to be fantastic, especially with the smaller pads.
Unfortunately, I was not able to get used to their relatively tight fit, and I returned them.
Comfort > Sound.

The DT 770s were very bright in the beginning, but I’ve gotten used to them now. If you find them bright, give them some time :slight_smile: I might still do the napkin mod one day, but I don’t feel the need as much anymore.