Looking for decent low-mid budget headphones

Hello from another newbie! I have read so many posts, but I cant seem to find the answer to my question. I would like to get a headset that I will mainly use for pc gaming/mainly comp fps. My budget is around 120-200$ USD. The tricky part is I live in Poland where the prices are a bit higher.

I currently own a Corsair Void Pro. I simply hate it. It was an ignorant buy, so I want my new headphones to be better.

What I am looking for:

-It can be closed or open back.
-Does not have to be a gaming headset.
-I can pair it up with a modmic or boompro etc. Also ok with decent included mic
-I want a good soundstage and directional audio. This is my top priority.
-Of course I also would like some comfort, for longer game sessions. Would be a + if they can swivel.
-Another thing I hated on my Corsair`s is the attached rubber cable. I mean the new ones can be attached too but Im looking for at least braided cables. Detachable is a ++
-For now I only want to invest in headphones. No amp/dac. Directly to my MoBo (msi z370 gaming plus).

Your suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

Easiest answer is shp9500 with Voda boom pro. Can be run with nothing else but all possible to upgrade later with amp/dac. For a gaming headset I think best lower cost set would be one of the Hyperx Cloud variants. I’m definitely not expert on Soundstage and such but from all of my own research I’d say these are the two lowest cost but still high functioning options. (Anyone correct me if I’m wrong on this)

Without knowing cost of things where you are it’ll be hard to target exact budget.

2 Likes

Lots of research pointed at shp9500. But they seem to be very hard to find here :frowning:. Any equivalents you can think of?

Could look at Sennheiser 558/598 (I’m currently running 558s and with just onboard Nahimic EQ to up treble I already heard things other didn’t). I just upgraded with amp/dac… haven’t even gotten to try it out though cause it arrived while I’m at work.

It’s really hard to know what to suggest as stand alone without knowing what the prices are like there.

2 Likes

Well, the prices are like +30$usd than US price. Very close to german prices at amazon.de. I was looking at SH Game One and Zero. But some ppl said “designed for gaming” is a downwards curve quality-wise even on SH headsets. What is your take on that?

I haven’t personally tried the sennheiser gaming headsets but I believe they are at least well received.

I think if you look into gaming headsets you are probably ok if you stick to those made by Audio companies or those that turned audio company headphones into headsets(aka the hyperx clouds made from takstar pro 82s). But make sure you look into the sound of each or which model of their headphones they converted into a headset.

Same.
My only experience is someone in voice chat using one, mic is good.

About to blow my mind with all this information… I was almost convinced to get AKG K702s but then I read some reviews that say Imaging on these are not quite good… Beyerdynamic`s seem ok but their attached cable puts me off. Sennheisers on the other hand I just never felt attracted to their design just cant get into it… And just when I said eureka! shp9500s are not available in my country… SAVE ME, i need some help :frowning:

So if you don’t like beyers attached cables. You don’t like sennheiser design. Shp9500 is not available in your country. I can only think of: CLICK HERE

Cooler master mh751 or 752. in amazon.de its 80 euros in the link I posted.

• Cups can swivel + Extremely comfortable
  • Detachable cable + mic is better than boompro and better than hyperx stuff when I heard
  • Doesn’t need dac or amp, It’s better than hyperx and other gaming headsets for competitive fps because of a more balanced sound signature (less bass than others)
  • Has a slightly bigger soundstage than hyperx cloud and good imaging
  • Also doesn’t look like gaming headset so you can use it outside if you want

I think this one hits all your points above.

[note]: there is shp9500 in ebay ships free from china new if you can wait, CLICK HERE for 85$

1 Like

Thank you for the response, I thought about these too in the beginning, but again I want to enter the audiophile headphone stage as you can see from my examples. Also wanted to experience a open-back headphone. Arent cooler masters rather in gaming scene? While I have twice their price as a budget, does it make sense to get them? What do you think of Philips Fidelio X2? Also looking at AD-500X and AD-700X. Attached cables again but they seem also decent for gaming.

Ok people, I decided to get HD599. Detachable cable, good imaging and open back. I`ll post my impressions when i get them. Thanks everyone who responded!

Ye you had the budget for something better but you said you don’t like sennheiser designs etc. Fidelio x2 is good but imaging for competitive is not great. Congrats on your 599 you got a senn after all :laughing:

1 Like

Ivory velvet looks soo nice :smiley: By SH design i meant the gaming series like game one and zero. They look cheap tbh :smiley: Thank you! I think i made the right choice. I can save the rest for a decent dac/amp! :slight_smile: