Looking for fun and nice gaming headphones

Hey all,

I was raised by my high-end father to always pinch the penny and look for something nice and different.

I am an allround gamer, but not a tryhard. Love games with great music. Currently playing FFXIV.

I already have an ok setup:

DAC: Topping D50
Amp: Schiit Magni 3.

Headphones in use:
AKG K702 with mods
Audeze Mobius

I had HD660s for a test drive and took it back. Did not enjoy them.

I am looking for a nice CLOSED BACK headphone that would be good for gaming and music. I use my Mobius for work and when gaming on the road. I am already planning an upgrade for my open back setup with the Sundara.

Price range would be at 300€/350USD. Comfiness is also key, I can spend hours ingame.

Small update:

Did a little research and ordered the following:

-Sony MDR 7605
-Sony MDR-CD900ST
-Beyerdynamics DT770 80 ohm (used, premodded with a removable cable + Brainwavz XL pads)

looks like this got a bit buried… what kind of sound signature are you looking for in the closed back?

V-shaped is what I prefer.

DT 770 comes to mind then 250 ohms sounds at its best… mmx300 is the gaming headset version of that but 770 may be found at like… $100 off the used markets in mint condition. Step ups from there… DT 177x GO more of a subtle V shape in comparison but many people prefer it over the 770 and 1770, 1770 has a sharper V and may be a bit too bright for some, and lastly the one that comes to mind is the E-mu Teaks which are a rather beautiful wooden headphone with a V shape to their signature. Can also look into some of the fostex as they respond well to changes such as the T50 and T60… some changes to their pads can make them adopt a V signature

beyers would be the best choice if your wanting anything fps related… otherwise the other headphones work just fine

Sounds good. Will have to give the Emu Teak a search.

Speaking of gear, what would be your recommendations for updating my dac and/or amp. Modi heresy a worthwhile upgrade or should I go for something more beefier? My current gear is the first revision D50 & Modi 3.

oh hell, I forgot to mention the Aeons too… they are absolutely V shaped lol. Tuned more “harman” as they say for that one… RT has the more V shape, open x is more neutral.

hmmm… probably just step it up to the better schiit stack at that point… asgard 3 + that d50 would be fine less you wanted to complete the stack or install the module… of which then grab the asgard 3 with either its multibit or the modius… the amp provides more sound quality than the dac really

Asgard 3 sounds good. Unfortunately there’s a lot of shipping difficulties to Europe, it seems.

Do you happen to know if there are any European-produced alternatives? Ordering from the states is possible (just did a Drop order), but at 24% VAT it’s not so enticing.

see if lake people is more available to you.