Looking for headphone good for gaming under 200$

Correct, if you got a stand alone amp like a schiit magni heresy or jds labs atom, you would need to buy a dac like the topping d10 to connect it to. With the k5 pro, it is a dac/amp combo, and is essentially an amp with a built in dac inside, so you don’t need to buy another dac

and is the sound any different on the black edition of the dt 880 600ohm
Is there a difference in dt880 600ohm and 250ohm

Not too different, it’s a bit brighter sounding but not really a big difference

You can definitely get away without a dac. If your on board is clean enough you should be mostly fine. Just take a headphone plug it in and all the amp will do is take that signal and amplify it. But the DAC is sorta like assurance that the signal is clean

Yeah, but you do get better sound quality with a good dedicated dac as well. I think its worth it unless you are on a tight budget

1 Like

Do you want to hear something really silly. I gave my bother who games a few hours daily the Koss KPH30i for Christmas. He had the Astro’s with the mix amp and Corsair Void Bluetooth but decided to sell them to go with a DAC/ AMP headphone setup.

He went with the Audiotechnca ATH-AD700x. Legendary gaming headphone that cost around $90. The amp is a Liquid Spark.

WELL that all changed once he started using the KPH30i. They are open back, so the sound stage isn’t bad. The KPH30i bass is better even though you wouldn’t think it by looking at the size difference. The are light weight, comfortable for long term play.

The reduced weight means he doesn’t have to take off his headphone and put them around his neck. Like I said he can play for hours, and he found the larger headphones would get hot after a while. His solution was to just turn up the volume and put them around his neck.

He went from gaming headphones that cost nearly $300 to Headphones that cost around $100 now, to being very happy and loving the $25 Koss…

Its a crazy idea, I know. He uses them on the amp and hasn’t look back. He has options now. Another benefit of the Koss if you own a Nintendo Switch or and of the gaming consoles for that matter I’m almost positive the in line mic will work when you connect them.

Just a thought…lol

I also have the 600Ohm DT880 and use them on whatever amp is on my desk at the time and I game a few day a week. I’ve got no complaints on them as well. I’ve also used the he4XX and the large sound stage works well in the games you mentioned as well. Lastly I’ll mention that I to have gamed with the KPH30i and didn’t feel like I was missing anything while gaming on them either.

1 Like

I wan’t to point out that we do use separate DAC and Amps, though you could connect the Koss to the PC / consoles directly. The DT880 600 Ohm and HE4XX really benefit from an amp.

2 Likes

Interesting lol, I would end up much preferring a 700x to a 30i lol, but then again I much prefer the ksc75 vs the kph30i

Is the objective2 x drop dac/amp any good because I did some research and found that the k5pro doesn’t produse the 600ohm that the 880’s need

Nope they are talking about the cheap looking , pretty good sounding koss kph30i

Nice to know that I don’t know what they are talking about

It’s not about impedance it’s about sensitivity. And the 880 600 ohm from some people’s experience in this forum was enough to pull off powering those headphones

Ok I’m sorry I’m making a lot of mistakes I’m kind of a noob about headphones

Impedance is just a good way to see how hard I’m generally a headphone is to drive

Nah all good man your here to learn right? Sorry if my tone sounded off.

I know a few people with 600 ohm 880s and k5 pros, and they work great on high gain, so no issues. Fiio just doesn’t rate it on their page

Yeah I’m here to learn if you have any suggestions for good gaming headphones tell me

The objective 2 is a bit outdated imo at this point, and the k5 pro beats it out for me

The 880s lol, or the aforementioned ad700x if you were on a tighter budget and couldn’t get an amp/dac

You really like the k5pro do you