Looking for high ish efficiency speaker upgrade

That’s mainly why people like to call things snake oil and placebo in the first place, it’s a great way to comfort yourself and force yourself to be happy with what you have (among other things), it’s a dangerous trap to fall into (see asr as an example of that), good to keep an open mind and also understand that there’s always something better, but doesn’t mean you can’t be content with what you have. After going through so much stuff, there’s really merit and real differences with most all of it (but then again I didn’t go out buying real questionable stuff so perhaps I got lucky), but it does seem nice to ignore all that existing from time to time and just focusing on what you have and how that is. Perhaps I can do that with these speakers once and for all lol

2 Likes

i agree, i tease about “ugly”. but sound quality is what matters. lets be honest. most speakers aint shit as art decorations lol. just ask any wife on the planet lol :slightly_smiling_face:

there are enuff ugly speakers out there with phenomenal performance that look like a hillbilly’s shed, so there is definitely s market for function iver form… snd often they ain’t cheep either! LoL

2 Likes

Yeahhhhh trying to force a speaker to act as art is really a stretch, speakers will always be a stand out in a room, hard to avoid that.

It’s just sad that there are some amazing speakers that look trash, speaking of psychology, if something looks good or bad enough it will influence how you feel about it even sound wise. There are some things that I heard that sounded awesome, but looked so offputting that there’s no way I would enjoy having them lol

1 Like

it’s a terrible shame and major kick to the legitimacy of a community when you have a noisy niche that are self sustaining because the all want to hear the same lies and half-truths and do so on repeat while slapping everyone with them on the back.

unless you were blind… or capable of reason and overcoming the vanity with logic. LoL

Would be real nice if people could just respectfully disagree and move on, not try and convert one side to the other and never ending argue back and forth. There’s products that cater to every market, but for some reason some markets have a hobby of trying to force their ideologies and demands on others that are just doing their thing, never typically ends well for either side. There wouldn’t really be as many issues if people stopped making this a us vs them problem or whatnot

I’ve got not the best vision but nowhere near blind, would be really interesting to truly know how someone perceives sound when they can’t see and how their other senses like hearing adapt to overcome that, I’d assume that really boosts their hearing capability but who knows, don’t know anyone like that to ask lol

2 Likes

theres not nearly enough “to each their own” these days. or my personal favorite “whatever floats your boat”

edit: i mean, everyone looks like an idiot with headphones on, but we still use em.

2 Likes

LoL, I was being cheeky!

but if you were blind and heard them you wouldn’t care how they looked. you aren’t, so you do… but if you contemplate it you go into some interesting territory and discovery of our flaws and quirks and how much society impacts our psyche.

as that one song says, 'perfect imperfections. ’

also, when I use the word ‘you’, the definition is more often society than you as an individual. one if ny quirks as I have not managed to change that habit despite the number of times I’ve apologized and corrected for misunderstandings stemming from that.

edit - I will admit to some hope a controversial response will cause some second thoughts and open a persons horizon, though., even if their opinion doesn’t change.

Don’t worry about it, also continuing on what I mentioned previously, I know a few people who always like to use blindfolds (this isn’t the right word, but it’s those things that some people put on when they sleep to block their eyes) when listening to music, they say it really helps them get involved in the music more which I can totally see. Personally I think it’s too distracting to have something over my eyes, but I have found that repainting my listening room basically almost black and keeping lighting very dim really helps and makes it easier to visualize things with more immersion

To actually make note of the speakers, firstly they actually like a less treated room. Initially I had more absorption than diffusion in my room, but taking out a fair amount of that absorption really improved the sound (but keeping the diffusion), and relocated my tube bass traps to behind the speakers (all have corner ones but they needed extra), and that sounded a lot better. So apparently they like a more lively room. Space wise they take up a lot of it, but not a ton. I found that 5ft from the rear wall and around 6ft from the sides was the sweet spot for them, and also tilting them forward a bit as well. In terms of toe in, they actually have so much placement accuracy and sharpness to the stage that they can maintain all their accuracy and be barely toed in to give the largest stage, really cool. They really don’t need a sub so far, truly full range, that’s also really nice to not have to deal with a sub, have no desire to put the subs back in the system at the moment

2 Likes

they sound loverly!

how far apart are they from each other?

edit - how far are you from them? and are you centered in a chair or off axis in a loveseat / couch when your better half is with you,?

Don’t know exactly, I’d have to check

Edit: around 7-8ft distance from each other

I’m around 10ft from them, going more forward didn’t sound right, and going backwards didn’t change as much. I have a couch with a shorter backrest so it doesn’t cause any reflections near the ear that I actually propped up on some wooden planks to elevate it a bit, centered and anyone sitting in that couch will be in mostly the sweet spot, but you have to sit in the center for the true sweet spot

1 Like

you need to get some testing equipment so we can listen to them on headphones that cannot reproduce their beauty so we can all chat about demoing them virtually!

oh gods, I’m killing myself with laughter!

Sound demos drive me nuts, see no value in them especially for speakers, way way too many flaws in doing them imo. There’s so many things that factor into sound demos that it just becomes a fruitless endeavor. I could have sworn at one point I made a post on all the issues that I thought of with sound demos on here, but I guess not lol. I think when it comes to sound demos of things like mics, that’s a more acceptable use of sound demos, but there’s still a lot that goes into that as well where it doesn’t give you a fully representative experience, but at least it’s a closer actual use case than trying to create sound demos of reproduction gear

1 Like

/years later during a chat with ShaneD, and Ohmboy we reminisce about the times we demo’d M0N’s Verity on our Hemp’s, Nighthawk Carbon’s and PortaPro’s while juggling the sound chain to hear their warmth on a tube amp n analytical on the Mono THX while grimacing and dying a little bit inside thinking about just how good we know our bullshit placebo bullshit.

LoLoLoL!!!

Deleted it all.

Now back to your regularly scheduled progamming.

Just found these…Wilson Audio WAMM :+1:

Wilsons were definitely up there as a potential option, not that high, but something lower in their range would have paired nicely with my gear from what I know and been pretty enjoyable. That being said, I think it wasn’t really the sorta sound I wanted out of my system based off demos I had with Wilson’s im different environments

1 Like

Everything is relative.

Pretty much. You would really have to go out of your way to try and get bad sound at that range, so it’s more about finding the sound you like the most and going from there and comparing speakers to each other. Honestly would have been happy with most things I’ve heard in the range, but if I was going to commit to something I might as well be picky about it lol