Looking for higher end IEMs

DDs in most cases still beats BAs when it comes to bass. Thats why if you want something with good bass, I would just look at iems with a DD for the bass.

1 Like

Yeah but I don’t care about just bass. I like the hd580 and hd800s off tubes so it’s not a huge deal. I just want something really balanced and good lol

Yeah, that is possible with single DD or hybrids/tribrids as well.

1 Like

Yeah I know but I’m looking into the U12t because they’re praised by many. Just weighing options. Im interested in the ie900 too. But I know the ie900 is good off just about anything.

It really depends. In the higher price brackets BA can definitely compete with DD for bass. There can be some tradeoffs of course but I would not call some of the more well implemented BA low drivers Inferior to their DD counterparts. Its more preference based on tuning and iem and I would not generalize it as one over the other.

I have not heard the u12t but by all accounts it is a great iem and for what you can find them for on the used market it seems like a pretty great value. The best thing is that of you don’t like it they are easy to sell, a really desirable iem it is.

4 Likes

I believe it should sound good off of most sources, Im pretty sure the u12t comes with 64audio’s impedance matching tech which is supposed to make more forgiving of different source gear including phones and such.

2 Likes

Yeah, the higher you go up the different driver characteristics seem to be thinner and thinner.

But still, I have never heard any BAs that can compete with DDs. This even goes for 300 usd BA iems vs 20 usd DDs…

The Graces definitely are better than any DD that I have heard, same with the single BA Hakas I do need to try out a higher end iem with a DD, thats what I’m planning next

I mean I get it, Im currently using a hybrid that has a dd and my preference does align with that most of the time, but the ba bass I have heard in the upper tiers has not been Inferior just different.There are even things that ba bass can do better than dd at times and vice versa. To name a few examples, ba typically are fast and precise with great impact depending on tuning, but dd usually have more texture and slam and better decay which lends it that more tonally dense sound. Of course just my opinion based on past experiences.

Cheers

3 Likes

Yes, the upper tier is all about personal preference and libraries rather than something being plainly “better”.

But If I was going to get a set at that price, I would definitely not go for a BA iem.

You never know, might just surprise you. It’s good to keep a open mind.

But fair enough.

6 Likes

If @Rhodey wants something easily driven on a phone an Andromeda might also be worth looking into. Unless of course he’s looking for something higher end than the andromedas.

5 Likes

Shrugs. My iem is full BA and I love mine. Maybe I fked up

3 Likes

Are you still looking for the MMR Gae Bolg? I have a pair for sale…

1 Like

@Kron if you have a chance definitely try out the CFA Mammoths.

1 Like

I owned the U12t for 2 months recently, I remember it sounding good off of my iPhone dongle. But there is a noticeable jump in sound quality like most high end IEMs when going to a nice DAP. IE900 I haven’t heard yet, but IE300 I have heard and pretty much sounds similar on a DAP as with a phone.

I can say with confidence that the U12t has great bass even though it’s full BA and can beat out many DD IEMs. Personally its bass is one of my favorites that I’ve ever heard since it fits my library well and this is after listening to the IER-Z1R, Legend X, and MEST Mk1 & Mk2. When I listen to it, I rarely am like I wished it had DD bass.

Nah, definitely not. If you love it, that’s all that matters. One of my favorite IEMs (Andromeda 2020) is full BA. U12t I’ve owned is full BA and is a great sounding IEM.

Just for reference for anyone who is interested in the U12t. Just to give you an idea of the sound, it’s boring in the best way possible. I find it really easy going to listen to while keeping a highly technical sounding IEM. Great if you’re working or relaxing.

4 Likes

This is exactly why I really don’t like the “BA = bad” debate, maybe its not as good on the entry level, but in my experience they can sound great.

They do interest me, I’m hoping that they are gonna release a high end fun tuning IEM

Agreed. BA is just a different sound experience and has its pros and cons like any other driver technology

2 Likes