Looking for Planar Magnetics that don't necessarily need an amp

the 4xx is another option it was my first planar. i would say maybe skip sundara if you get 4xx although it is an upgrade you may want to try a dynamic like 800s or 6xx as a side grade or spend a little more and get a real hifiman planar like ananda and be blown away for around 5-600 used or open box from a store.

As far as I know there really isn’t much of a used market when it comes to audio stuff in my part of Europe, so that kinda sucks. You can find a bunch of consumer grade stuff, but not really high-end.

Even when looking for some of the Hifiman models, the closest sellers are german Amazon or some audio shops that are still located a few countries away.

But yeah, I am pretty sure now that I’ll go with some model that is a bit cheaper (something around the HE400i price not the Sundara) but will allow me to buy an external amp straight away. Seems like the more correct choice. Now just to find what kind of amp to get.
Considering the best audio device I own is a CoolerMaster MH751, that still should be quite the leap

I think that’s a good idea.
Hybrid Tubes from China can be fun, cheap and potent with good synergy on planars of that type.

Verum One is one of the easiest planar to drive.

Oh yeah, I was really interested in them for a while, seemed like a perfect pick, but recently discovered that the owner of the company has some… unsavoury opinions and beliefs to say the least, so that’s why the Verum One has dropped down to the bottom of my wishlist, not keen on supporting that company.
Really sucks about them.

1 Like

Aren’t those 8 Ohms?
That will be extremely hard on a lot of lower end headphone amps.

He is a racist and a liar.

Wow, didn’t know about the Verum One thing.
Unsavory opinions is an understatement. Never will support.

1 Like

He is a racist and a liar.

name a more iconic duo… In seriousness it sucks to see, you’d think people would snap out of that trash by now.

More to the point; have you thought about Monoprice’s stuff? The 1070s, and M570s are pretty efficient and should be drivable off a 3.5mm coming out of a PC.

I have the 570s and enjoy them a lot. on the warm/smooth side but not overly so. Fun listen.

Holy crap, and he’s not even trying to hide it going by the shear number of discord screen caps of him going off. What a Jackass.