Looking for sibilance (piercing highs) examples

Anyone have any vocal music that has piercing sibilants when listened to with a treble-spiking headphone? Please share. Thanks!

She goes up 1 octave @ 4:00ā€¦
Someone saw her live and the sound guy didnā€™t do his job, so it was unbearable, lol.

Otherwise, that should do it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Listened to this album recently, way too much highs, no bass at all, ear-shattering-pickaxe-cymbals. Like, the entire album is ā€œ/ā€ shaped. :confused:

Edit: I donā€™t know if the real CD is like that. I hope not, because Iā€™m buying it ASAP.

1 Like

Well, there you go, holy shit! :scream:

1 Like

Wow ā€“ thanks everyone! One could easily imagine a house of sonic horrors. Iā€™ll contribute one of my own that I found casually researching this topic:

It also shows why examples of troublesome sibilance may be hard to find in commercially recorded audio.
1 Like

That was amazing :+1: thereā€™s a massive difference between piercing highs and sibilance.

LOL

I own and love the DT 1990. Iā€™m old enough to have my own built-in treble excess filter, but Iā€™ve also had a few pairs of young ears listen to them. They canā€™t find a treble issue, either. In my working life I did a fair amount of technical writing. Not only do I enjoy writing, I find I always learn something by forcing myself to rigorously organize my thoughts. So purely for my own amusement and interest (and to keep from going insane a few days ago when my internet when) I started writing a review of the 1990.

The more I dig into the polarization between those who get ear-stab-itis from the 1990s and those who donā€™t, the more Iā€™m perplexed. In what recordings are people encountering 7-9 KHz energy? Itā€™s often referred to as a sibilance issue, but apparently sibilance is routinely ā€œde-essedā€ from commercial recordings. Few recordings even contain frequencies in this range. Few (acoustic) instruments produce any meaningful amount of overtone energy up there.

So, if itā€™s not vocal and not acoustic instruments, then maybe itā€™s an electronica thing? Bingo. Just tested the first several songs on a Spotify EDM playlist. Plenty of frequency from 6 KHz on out. Clearly, itā€™s designed to literally be edgy. So, if you have an ear canal resonance up there and you have a treble-emphasis headphoneā€¦

The sibilance designation seems to be a false lead. But are there any other genres that employ lots of electronically created sounds? If you can think of any please reply. Iā€™m totally ignorant of non-acoustic music.

IAC ā€“ blessings once again for the saintly open-sourcerers that created Audacity. Iā€™m continually amazed how often it comes in handy.

Long story short, thatā€™s literally a +10dB bump to overcompensate for the fact that they canā€™t make headphones with decent +10khz highs. Theyā€™re like beats, for people who like treble. Tracks are ā€œde-essedā€ because itā€™s unwanted by many. Most Beyerdynamics are ā€œessersā€, so donā€™t be surprised many people donā€™t like them.

Thereā€™s pop music with a lot of synth sounds, every rock/metal/whatever band with a keyboardist, violinsā€¦ and now I realize youā€™re basically asking me the list of instruments not ā€œcompatibleā€ with Beyerdynamics. So, huh, yeah, music itself is never the problem.

Pretty much any asian female vocals have sibilance problems.