Looking for small-ish desktop speakers for music

Hey everyone! I’m tossing around the idea of getting a pair of speakers for my desk, so I don’t have to wear headphones all day while working from home. They’ll mainly be used for music, and sometimes Youtube. I have a picture of my setup below. As you can see, real estate is a bit limited, so I’m looking for something with a smaller footprint. I don’t really feel like I need a subwoofer, as I’m not a bass junkie and won’t be cranking the volume most of the time. That said, I’m not opposed to a 2.1 setup if that turns out to be the best option. I mainly listen to progressive metal and classic rock.

My budget is $200, maaaaybe $300 if you can convince me that it’s worth it. After watching a bunch of Z reviews, I’m gravitating towards the Neumi BS5 and Dayton MK402, mainly due to their size and price, and maybe the Micca RB42s (and something to power them of course, which I have no experience with). I do have a pair of JBL104s in my bedroom that I could move in here, and get a different pair for the bedroom TV, which would relax the size requirements a bit. Looking forward to hearing what you guys suggest! Thanks!

I’m currently using Fluance Ai40s. Powered and right around 200 USD. They’re sealed so you don’t have to worry about being up against a wall. It depends on how big your space is. I had them in a tiny student housing bedroom with no capeting and they got a bit boomy and the standing waves were noticeable. Also they have a 5 inch woofer so they’re not exactly what most people consider small desktop speakers but since you’re considering the BS5s I figured you’re fine with that size.

I don’t really have experience with the RB42s but I had a pair of PB42x. I moved to sealed speakers when I moved and had to put them up against a wall. I really didn’t like how they sounded close to the wall, but otherwise I really liked my PB42s. I imagine the RB42s are even better.

Side note, I really like how you mounted your Schiit.

2 Likes

According to Zeos, these are as small as they are impressive.
Also available in white. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you remove the CPU from your desk you can fit a subwoofer there!

If your willing to wait 9 weeks, modhouse makes some mini speakers by hand

Fluid Audio F4 are relatively small (not as small as the modhouse cubes @lmao mentioned)

Fluid Audio C5 are a bit bigger in every dimension than the F4, fit the color scheme of your place better though :wink:

Dimensions (copied from Fluid Audio):

F4 C5
Depth 6.78" 7.6"
Width 5.9" 6.85"
Height 8.74" 10.1"

No idea if either is any good (reviews on Thomann.de are good).

1 Like

RB42’s would be pretty sick in that space as you could turn them sideways and they would fit right under your monitors, grab some of these tilted stands (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005STCILC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to angle the speakers towards your ears. My friend has this exact same setup and it works great for his space restricted desk

as for amp you can grab a Topping PA3 or SMSL AD18 and power them fine. There should be no need for a sub, these have plenty of bass in nearfield imo.

4 Likes

If 200$ is the entirety of your budget, you need inexpensive and good powered monitors, and use a 3.5mm-to-RCA to go from your motherboard to your speakers (plugging a headphone amp straight into that would sound “thin”, but for speakers, it’s okay).

Otherwise your only choice is probably a 100$ Topping PA3 and… 100$ passive speakers.
But you talked about Micca and I remembered this. If you can find Micca OoO’s anywhere, they’re 100$ for the pair.

https://www.miccatron.com/micca-ooo-bookshelf-and-center-channel-speaker/

Yeah I’m fine with a 5 inch, it’s just the dimensions of the enclosure that can’t be too big

Thanks! I modeled and 3D printed it at my office. I call it the Schiit Shelf :stuck_out_tongue:

Not a chance. That beauty stays right where she is :stuck_out_tongue:

I might be willing to do $250 for the RB42s with an amp. I’ll have to think on it.

If you can stretch your budget I would recommend Vanatoo T0s. I know they are a out of your budget but I don’t think there are better all rounders for the money. Tons of inputs, sound amazing, output for a sub bit probably don’t need it and Bluetooth with a remote.

2 Likes

if you shift your desk to the right by enough to put speaker stands with speakers, you’ve got that option too.

Yeah I just watched the Z review on that yesterday, and I’m mighty tempted. The looks aren’t anything special, but other than that, they seem perfect for my needs. I just got some news that means a slightly expanded budget, so I might do it.

Any other recommendations before I pull the trigger?

1 Like

There’s the Edifier R1700BT but they’re too big (150$ and DSP-corrected, RCA in only).

Screw it. I’m doin’ it. See you fellers in a few days :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am at a similar spot now. I am looking for some smallish speakers for my desk and originally was considering the RB42’s based on other recommendations here but then saw the review for the Neumi BS5 and the Vantoo T0’s and the both were better at lower volumes and the strength of the RB42 sounds like when you can turn it up to a descent volume that the speaker shines. In my case I would be mostly listening at lower volumes so not sure if the RB42’s would be the best fit for me.

What has your experience been with the T0 so far and would you recommend it?

Does anyone know if the fluid audio c5s are any good?