Looking to get my first audio setup

Well I went ahead and ordered the m100 from Amazon says it’ll arrive 4th-6th. Got the seismic audio rca cables while I was at it. It does have the better feature set compared to the d10

What would you consider a good set of three cans that covered a wide range of sound signatures each n the budget area.

Dude just get M50’s, dude :slight_smile:

friends don’t let friends buy the M50x. :upside_down_face:

Man I really wanna know how they sound, I swear I’m gonna buy a pair at some point, just to witness THE M50’s

you can get a pair of M40x put a pair of ZMF cow hits on them and just write m50x in sharpy on the side.

Ye but thats no fun, I want THE M50x, and them imma send them back if they are trash

If I had to pick 3 for me: meze 99 noirs cassy closed back very generic sony like sound sig but I enjoy them , he 4xx planar great for acoustics, dt 990 , treble detail a nice mid bass presense great for gaming just holds a special place in my heart.

but If I had to pick for other people 3 open backs that cover a nice wide range: the 58x laid back midcentric unoffensive warm can, dt 770 / or one more triplke drivers for the bassy v shaped signature. and the last I cant pick between the 880 and 4xx. I would pick the 880 if I am doing production work or I desire something with nice treble detail. he 4xx for just the planar sound

My first setup was a schiit stack v1.0, Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 598. I then got a pair of Argon Mark II that really sent me deep into this rabbit hole. So deep into the rabbit hole…even though I just bought Neumann NDH 20, I’m over here on hifishark.com trying to find deals. Lmao

So today I went to Guitar Center. I went to guitar center because it is the only place within 50 miles that has headphones I can listen to. Their selection was…limited - only one set of open backs (dt990s) and the cord to them was broken so i still couldn’t listen. listened to a couple AKG (361 and 371) and they were just ok. the most notable thing i listened to were the m50x - I HATED them - everytime the song hit an “s” sound I thought my eardrums were being stabbed - extremely sibilant… what is this sound described as so i can avoid it?

The m50x are pretty dang harsh and forward, they just shove detail in your face and also somewhat sibilant because of that as you say lol.

The 371 initially sounds boring but once you spend some time with them they really grow as you understand their signature

I really wanted to listen to the 990s. since 880s are on a list I’m interested in I thought I might be able to get a feel for beyers…but noooooo. some jack hole had to break the cord :frowning:

I didnt think the m50x had much detail…but maybe it was drowned out by the sibilance?

It’s not really that detailed admittedly, it’s just very forward with it’s detail that it has

you are just such a great resource for questions :slight_smile: thanks, as always

1 Like

that’s whats called the 50x sound, we try to steer people clear of it./s

Why are there 556 posts in “looking to get my first audio setup”?

The mans just looking to get into his first audio setup, nothing to see here

#blame:M0N

Maybe it should be renamed to, “Looking to have a conversation with M0N” ; )