Looking to get my first audio setup

hey plenty of people have posted…i learned a lot of good information from this thread

also its a great place for me to post wierd questions i dont know where else to put. like why m50x sounded horrible to me…

1 Like

Just also shows that while the frequency response measurements of the m50x look nice on paper, that doesn’t translate to good sound

well because they are horrible headphones. real talk if you wanted a headphone from that line up the M40x is the only half decent one and it needs a pad swap which will prob destroy the sound so you have to try ALL of them.

the m40x were right next to the m50x…sounded nearly identical to me…

again…might have been those piercing “s” sounds…

Really? I’m quite curious then, maybe I’ll hit up a guitar center near me. The 40x receives alot of love while the 50x is abused in the audio community

The m40x are way better than the m50x. That being said, they suffer from similar issues (no soundstage, build, headband hotspot, shitty earpads, etc.). The main difference is that the m40x doesn’t have as severe a treble spike and the bass isn’t as bloated.

Also, I may be in the minority, but pad change with them made them worse. I found that pad change to ZMF Cowhide or HM5 Angled neutered the bass and made the treble spike worse. It does add soundstage though, which is great.

1 Like

with my pair I swapped the pads for a non angled brainwavz sheep skin. They were way more comfortable and the sound was for the most part preserved.

I felt the sound changed drastically with Brainwavz Flat pads. The bass dropped, mids were further scooped and treble was was still the same more or less. Sounded very hollow to my ears.

These arrived today.

First impressions: open sounding, more bass than I expected (pleasantly surprised) a lot of what I heard made them sound like they were lacking in bass, very clear, lots of detail, only a slight complaint is that a couple songs with a lot of cymbals are maybe a tad sharp? Not sure yet I need to listen to them more. Overall super happy with these so far

5 Likes

Listen them to a bit and see if that changes, you might have to grow into the senn signature, great setup and I hope you enjoy them :+1:

2 Likes

I’m gonna be doing that all night :slight_smile: any recommendations if the cymbals get on my nerves?

1 Like

Hmm, perhaps try some eq if in the next few days it doesn’t go away, but I think after some physical burn in, the pads wearing in, and mental burn in it might subside for you lol. Also how is the clamp on them?

1 Like

Btw I swapped over to my old Logitechs for giggles…I even connected them through the amp…these are miles better. The amp did improve the Logitechs to be fair, but turns out they cost basically the same as the 58x… At least without the amp and dac

Clamp is perfect. Exactly what I want…nice and secure and even over my glasses no problem

3 Likes

I see you’re on high gain (I got the atom too), try low vs. high gain, maybe this will reduce the treble (cymbals) a bit? (Amps are weird… because something something ohms impedance). :man_shrugging:

Otherwise, just extend them and twist the metal parts of the headband a bit, if they clamp just a bit more, they’ll have just a bit less treble (…I got HD58Xs too. :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

If these are your first open back cans, it can be very easy to turn the volume up higher than normal. Try to be aware of that until you get used to the gear and whatnot. I myself have a tendency to do that from time to time, especially during gaming.

2 Likes

Is it wierd that I prefer the sound on high gain to the low gain setting? The cymbals and a little sibilance when listening to spoken word are a little sharp for me also they are pretty tight already…not sure I would like tighter

1 Like

Like mon said hopefully burn in takes care of that. I listen to alot of kpop and these tame all highs extremely well so I think that will dissappear eventually

1 Like

Do you think I should tone down the volume? I will say I enjoy cranking these on my favorite songs…

I believe I prefer high gain too, even if high gain is, if we’re only talking about numbers, completely and absolutely unnecessary for HD58Xs, heh (these can be loud with my old smartphone too).

Huh, yes. It’s probably your first amp, and this thing is a drug, lol. Be careful :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Lmao I guess I’m gonna crank it then :stuck_out_tongue: