Looking to replace my Q Acoustics 3020 and upgrade my amp

Think that Jamo series won a EISA awards on 2018-2019.
Best Product or something… might have been the surround set but think people like em.

1 Like

That’s interesting… It’s wierd cuz I still hold hope in them, there’s moments I love them and there’s moments they don’t feel right to me hahah. I might keep them cuz my brother happens to want some speakers for him!

How do you feel about hearing pianos on them? Do they feel natural or a bit kinda boomy/piercing? Cuz they are one of the instruments that annoy me the most after hearing pianos sound sooo fkin beautiful on the HD600 (and also pleasing on the fishers).

Yeah! They were my first contenders before I got the Paradigm SE Atom recommended. I’d like to hear those and also the ELAC 6.2 debut, but I think I’ll get the Paradigms as the first option and then move from them I don’t like them.

1 Like

Did a quick test on these three tracks (from a proper FLAC, not youtube)

and only on the third track, where I expect the piano to be pulled back, do I feel like sth is just slightly off (but then again, it’s not that good of a recording either). The other two sounded so good I could hear every note die off naturally like it’s in the room (track 1 is especially telling when the piano goes to the low notes)…

Maybe it’s your room? I have a pretty small room, so everything sounds huge by default. By pure luck my couch is at a spot where the bass isn’t lost and there’s no bad reflections even though the wall is right behind me

1 Like

Oh thank you for taking the time! I listen to them close field on a desk, but I’ll try them asap on another room from quite a longer distance when I get the new amp, to see if either the amp or the room make a difference. I’ll let you know when I do the test, cuz it will either be tomorrow morning or next week!

1 Like

Yeah it was SUCH a burdensome task to have to listen to music on my speakers… :slight_smile:

Just to give you the full picture: I have them powered off the Onkyo A-9010, which is connected via RCA across the (small) room via RCA to the FX Audio DAC-X6. So it’s not like I’m running some crazy Hi-Fi stuff…on the contrary

EDIT: some smart people managed to show me how much speaker placement and/or the room actually matters. Couldn’t tell you how they’d sound in a different setting

Hahahah sure!! I was looking to buy the onkyo A-9010 actually, but it’s quite big and after seeing Zeos review of the SMSL SA300 I’m going with that. Now I have my speakers connected to an SMSL SA50 that’s worth like 50 bucks, so it might have quite a big impact to change it for something more decent hahah. I’ve been experimenting with speaker placement on my desk and stuff and to tell the truth the feeling that kind of hurts my ears… may be due to being too close to the speakers, they collapse my ears kind of, and therefore I can’t hear any detail until they stop feeling like that. Maybe these boys are not meant to be heard close range… who knows. I checked for ressonances in my hearing position listening to a wide range of frequencies and they seemed okay though.

Yeah, it may be the amp, but I’d say you may just be a tad too close. My listening position is about 7 or 8 feet away.

On another note, my main problem with these is that I don’t have them nearly as far apart from each other as I should, because they can clearly give a much much wider image than what I have going on. I just don’t have room :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah, I guess so! I’ll tell you how it goes! :smiley:

1 Like

Well I listened to them in my room from like 6 or 7 feet away and the 2nd one sounded specially boomy/piercing, the main melody becomes so distracting that I can’t focous on the secondary melody and the details… I recognize the main melody is super loud and it takes over everything by default, but I can get my HD600 super loud and it doesn’t really bother me that much, I’ll tell you if it is the room or the amp when I try it, or if after trying everything I still don’t like em hehe. It’s wierd cuz it’s not that they are harsh or too bright… they just ressonate in a wierd way which I find really fatiguing.

They did improve a bit when moving away from them though, so maybe my room is just too small and they are too close to the wall despite having the bass port plugs on and having moved them around my desk.

1 Like

It’s quite possible you just don’t like the tonality of them no matter the equipment. Don’t have the HD600 but I do know that when I listen to my Shuoer Tape the entire day, my speakers seem to lack bass. And then they’re alright again in the morning haha

It’s not boomy to my ears. And I’m usually someone who prefers less bass so I guess I’d be the first to find them boomy.

In any case… Interesting :smiley:

1 Like

Well it’s not the bass by any means hehe they also sound a bit flat to me, even after the HD600 which are known to have little bass. It’s something about their tonality I guess, maybe they have an internal ressonance in some point of the pianos frquency spectrum (but it also happens in other songs with no pianos I think), or I’m just trying to find a sound that doesn’t exist… I just need to liste to those fisher’s again but I won’t have their amp fixed until next week TT

There are some parts of the songs that I really enjoy, for example I really like the first one you sent me, it sounds really nice on them, but when theres an important piano base under the delicate melody of the higher notes it just gets my ears tired and overblown. The sound D.A.N.C.E from the same album of “Where is my mind” is a really clear example of a song that at least for me doesn’t sound pleasing, I woudn’t say it doesn’t sound right, cuz I really don’t know, I haven’t heard as many speakers as I’d like to, but it hurts hehe.

So the song D.A.N.C.E is kinda like this:

HD600:
There’s a higher note piano melody on the front and then a deeper piano base that’s kinda on the background laying a foundation for the song, it’s quite pleasing to listen to even at high volumes.

Q Acoustics 3020:
There’s a higher note melody that fights with the deeper piano base that just insists taking over everything inside my ears, ressonating too much and feeling unnatural, even the higher notes feel less delicate.

I tried them on another room this morning, having them really far from the wall and quite open, and the same happens. I’m still waiting for the new amp to try them before I move them again to my room.

Okay I just got into some trouble! I already got the new amp and it works really well, no complaints about it, but I ordered the Paradigms and they are just not coming, the owner of the shop phoned and told me it will be a couple months till they get some, they have none now…

I have 2 options now… either wait 2 months or try to buy another one of the options through amazon or another website and if I don’t like em just trade em in and try the next one. I like smooth sound, I don’t find my HD600 shouty like some do, but I do like a relaxed treble presentation, I don’t want sybiliances and I really really want a natural tonality. I think what I don’t like about my Q Acoustics 3020 is that they don’t sound natural. I’m looking to 5,25 inch woofers cuz I do want some more bass than I currently have, and I don’t plan on buying a subwoofer for now, and I do appreciate that speakers can get exciting when they should.

So my options (I actually widened the price range a bit, see if you think it’s worth it!)

• Jamo S803 (200€)
  • Klipsch R-51m (I heard horn tweeters might be shouty near flied…) (280€)
  • Klipsch RP-500M (maybe better option but I can’t really find reviews on that) (400€)
  • Klipsch RP-600M (nevermind, overkill for a desk but I’d love that bass XD) (500€)
  • Adam Audio T5V (they say they are designed for nearfield and zeos reviewed them super well buut they are powered so what do I do with my amp now? XD) (320€)

or… would you just wait for the Paradigms and f**k off? hahaha

BTW two quick questions:

• Should I start a new thread instead of reviving this one?
  • How do you add a sub to a powered setup?

Thank you! :smiley:

EDIT: Check these out btw! Saw the video review while waiting for the Paradigms… and I actually seriously consider them.

https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/spirit-4

Hmmm, the rp600m is pretty awesome, can recommend even on a desk, that would be my pick for what you want. Smoother sound, lots of body, good definition and dynamic, very enjoyable. The adam are also good but I don’t think they are a natural sounding speaker.

Nah, it’s only 12 days later, if it’s less than like 3 months or related to the topic just use the same one lol

You would want a sub with speaker level inputs, like the BIC F12 or Polk PSW10 (but I don’t think those would be aval to you if you aren’t in the us, but there are other options)

1 Like

Okay I’m gonna try to go listen to them on the store, Klipsch are actually one of the few I might be able to get my ears on before buying. I hope they let me compare the RP-600M and the RP-500M cuz the 600 might be too big for my desk…)

I might actually buy those XTZ ones I linked up there if I don’t straight up love the klipsch, they have a 30 day try and return period so nothing to loose there, and that review really bought me into them…

Thanks a lot for your answers!

1 Like

Yes demo if you can, it will make life easier lol.

The spirit 4 is pretty nice, not talked about a ton in the us but with the short time I have used them, it was pretty good

1 Like

Oh you used them?? Wow! You’ve just heard so many things… I didn’t expect that! Well if you think they are also pretty good I’m definitely considering them, let’s see how Klipsch sound before going crazy ordering those XD

Thanks mate! I really appreciate it.

I mainly have seen them and listened to them at A/V shows as they seem more on the home theater side of things (but of course they are good at music as well lol). I’ve heard and own a lot of things lol, this hobby can be pretty fun

1 Like

Yeah! Well actually the Paradigms are a part of a home theater setup and also Klipsch has some lines on those… Prety cool you get to enjoy so many things!! :smiley:

Yes, they are all more slightly consumer HT brands lol, but that’s not a bad thing in any way

It’s so easily to get addicted lol, save yourself while you still can

1 Like