Looking to replace my Q Acoustics 3020 and upgrade my amp

Definitely!! Can’t think of all the stuff I’d buy/try if I had the money hahaha thank you so much again! I’ll tell you what I decide to buy in a few days, gotta get those numbers going and see if I can get 500€

Okay I went to hear the Klipsch RP-600 this morning and I really didn’t like them, not natural sounding at all… but talking to the shop guy he was like “you know what, we recieved this pair a couple months ago and I love them, I think you will too”

So… guess I did love them!! The best renditions of some instrumentals I’ve ever heard, wide and precise soundstage, really detailed but never shouty or harsh tweeter, and a super powerfull woofer that I can’t really believe it’s only 5", it’s like more than double the punch of my Q acoustics 3020; but first of all, they just sounded so natural and full, HD600 like natural, but speaker level fuller and wider. These are definitely speakers I would prefer listening to against headphones, and that’s what I really wanted.That guy on the shop said if he was told this were 1500$ he’d believe it, and I think I would too.

The Klipsch felt hollow and lifeless in comparison, despite being quite larger, and nearfield they sounded weird, like the tweeter and the woofer were separated.

Oh I almost forgot, I’m talking about the new Wharfedale Evo 4.1, I’ve not found a single review online, Zeos should definitely hear them! They are “floor ported” so no problem having them close to the wall either, and they sound quite nice nearfield.

Interesting, I have heard the evo 4.3 floorstanders and wasn’t the biggest fan, but that’s great that you have what you want now :+1: I guess I never tried them nearfield, perhaps I would like them more

1 Like

They told me they really changed their sound this time, so I don’t really know about the 4.3, they got them there but I didn’t listen to them. I didn’t have high expectations for the 4.1 but they blew me away! They really shined, even at room scale, sitting on a sofa like 3 meters away from them, they were amazing.

Thank you for all the help anyway :smiley: I didn’t expect to find such great speakers there!!

They are 550€ btw, but I just needed them in my life hehe :wink:

I wonder if it’s because the 4.3 had a soft dome midrange, and the 4.1 does not, perhaps they screwed up the soft dome midrange and that tilted the performance for me (at least it sounded off compared to the soft domes I have lol)

:+1: :+1: Now I want to try out the 4.1 and see if it’s different lol

That’s not a bad price

Maybe! He mentioned he liked the 4.1 better than the 4.2’s which I think are also a three way.

I would offer you to have a listen to them but I guess you’re not from Spain! :smiley:

Best wishes to you man! Gonna stay around this community, it definitely helped me a lot!

1 Like

So it IS the soft dome lol, well now I will go listen to them soon, I think I have a warfedale dealer I can reach, I need to check the whole range for speakers now, since I guess the higher end ones can be worse lol (although I just got new speakers and don’t need to listen to new ones lol)

Glad you found speakers you like :+1:

1 Like

Definitely tell me if you go hear them!! I’m super interested in your opinion! Good luck with em!

Fun fact: Just got home and my grandfather’s Fisher Xp6b no longer sound as good to me after hearing those Wharfedale, can’t believe the Fishers have a woofer double the size. Get where those 50 years that passed went in terms of speaker development XD. Weird I didn’t like the Q acoustics 3020 a single bit…

Some older speakers are just awesome, but it really depends on preference I would say. You def have a fair bit better technicalities with the wharfedale so perhaps that’s what you were looking for lol. In good condition I think you would be able to get like 200usd for the fishers, still somewhat desirable.

Regarding the q acoustics, it seems it just didn’t meet your preferences which is no issue, you just want to find your preferences is the goal, which the evos suit you better it would seem

1 Like

Yeah… I guess sound is so subjective after all. I would say the fishers were designed with jazz in mind, cuz those saxos and femenine vocals are just stunningly awesome, no matter what, I’d even say more than the ones I heard on the whafedales. All other stuff sounded better on the Wharfs, Eric Clapton guitar was fuller and richer, pianos were nicer and bass was punchier and better articulated, soundstage was awesome and detail was incomparable, can’t wait to have them home :smiley:

Yes, the fishers were designed with music of their age in mind, so that’s what they tend to preform best with imo

1 Like

Well I think I’ve got an answer for the problem! I’ve just installed my new Wharfedale Evo 4.1, into which I completely fell in love at the store, and they are not as good in my room. They are definitely fuller than the Q Acoustics, and I really like their sound better, but there’s something about my room (or the whole poor construction of the flat I am now in Barcelona) that makes speakers ressonate in weird ways when playing pianos. So yeah it wasn’t all about those Q Acoustics, even then most natural and pleasing sounding speakers I could get are weird in my room… Lucky for me that I’m leaving this flat in a few months! XD

1 Like

Well… just completely blown away by how much room acoustics change sound! The Wharfedales acquired some of the characteristics I hated about the Q Acoustics when I sat them in my room. Guess my room doesn’t like pianos, lucky I’m moving out in the near future. For the rest, they sound amazing anyway so it was a good buy :smiley:

Have you worked on treating your room? What is your floor made of? Do you have large windows? Are your speakers in the corner? The room can affect the sound strongly, and treating it and practicing good speaker placement can really help. Since you are moving soon I wouldn’t worry about it too much, but when you move, you might want to invest some time (and money but it doesn’t have to be a lot) to improve your environment for 2 channel listening

1 Like

Yeah… I have all those XD. A huge window (even though there’s a courtain on front) just behind where speakers are, wooden floor, one of em is in a corner, and they are 30cm away from a wall on top of
a cheap wooden panel I use as a desk hahaha. I don’t wanna invest in this room cuz it’s just my student place and I’m finishing my degree this year, I’ll take action when I move out and try to design my room thinking about speakers first. I’ve been watching and reading about speaker placement and room acoustics for a while but I’m completely lost really, I’ll try to contact a professional or something when I set up my future room!

You can do simple stuff, like get large thick window curtains or drapes, get a thick large rug for the ground, move your speakers out a bit so they have enough space behind the wall, have a bookshelf or couch in the room, make diy acoustic panels and cheaper bass traps

1 Like

Well this is my listening area hahaha just have a look:

Couldn’t be more compressed and cornered XD

1 Like

Ah ok gotcha. Well at least you have curtains so that’s good lol. And when you use them nearfield you can reduce the amount to where the room matters. For now I don’t think there is too much you can do, besides getting some isolation pads for the speakers to decouple them from the desk

1 Like

Hahahah yeah that’s what I thought… :stuck_out_tongue: well I just put some little “sorobothan?” feet that came with the speakers to kinda decouple them from the desk, but I was wondering if some good isolation pads would be a good upgrade.