I have owned my Cloud Alphas for almost three years now. This is how I feel about them:
I never found them particularly comfy, and often had to take breaks because I cannot use them for long sessions. I am guessing I am very sensitive to their clamp or to their lack of swivel, or a combination of the two.
Now that Working From Home is a thing, I also use them for videoconferencing with my colleagues and clients, and they do look silly in a professional environment.
They are not particularly portable either (not a big deal but it would be “a nice to have”)
Other than that, they have served me very well for gaming. I mostly play competitive FPS games, I would say I spend 80% of the time playing COD warzone and Apex Legends, and the other 20% mostly open-world games like the witcher 3 and cyberpunk.
So based on what I don’t like about the Cloud Alphas, and what I use them for, I have decided to do some research and oh boy, there is so much out there. I have read really good guides in this forum so I decided to look for some extra guidance.
I live in the UK, so that makes Drop+Sennheiser products almost impossible to find. Now with the brexit, I wonder how much more expensive would it be to import things from Europe.
My budget is £200, no AMP, I would like them to be closed back, I am pretty sure open back leak a lot (am I wrong here?) still I am willing to try some open backs just out of curiosity.
I ordered the MH752, it looks like it solves all the problems I have with my Alphas. I read their comfort is exceptional, stealthy design, mic quality seems to be excellent, they swivel. It almost sounds too perfect to be true.
My question is, is there anything better in terms of sound profile for competitive gaming (neutral bass, decent mid and highs), and in terms of imaging/soundstage?
I also ordered the M50x (I know you guys will kill me but I have to know what is it people hate about these), I ordered the DT 770 pro 32 ohms too, if I like these I’ll go for the MMX 300 gen 2. These are not considered good for gaming because of their V shape signature, still wanted to hear how they sound given that they are very very popular below the £200 mark. I will also order the SHP9500 to see if the tradeoff of the open backs are worth it (my wife might force me to return them if they leak too much XD)
Thanks in advance!