Looking to upgrade from Koss stuff for music

It’s got many issues, and current day is just not worth it, you can just get a 4xx/400i which imo is a better choice

Also if you don’t want to get an amp @vucirrha I wouldn’t consider a planar, they really benefit from an amp and don’t sound the best without one

1 Like

maybe so but mods are easy for it. and it sells used cheap. like 150$

I dont get why people like the 4xx. i got it and its not a very good headphone. i didnt like it. seems to lack dynamic range.

At that price though you can get a 400i/4xx, which imo has similar detail detail, better staging, more coherent signature and doesn’t really need any mods to sound good

The m1060 in modern market just isn’t worth it imo

They will get him some volume till he can get something else. the TNP amp i have and its actually not bad.

All things considered, I don’t think I need a crazily-detailed headphone to be happy. I don’t plan to drown too deep in audiophile stuff… until I do. Uh oh.

I think I’ll hold back on buying any headphones right now until I’m in a better position to buy everything to support one… mainly a DAC. Hopefully the qudelix comes along soon.

Most answers point to 58X, which I might end up getting later if I get a good deal. Still, the other headphones meantioned are intriguing too and stuff like the nighthawks and planars still interest me a little. Thanks, everyone

1 Like

But for a lower price and no mods needed he can get similar Performance

You can get a good headphone without needing a dac and amp, the 58x and Nighthawks for example run fairly happily off a phone, later down the line a better dac amp can improve them but you definitely don’t need them to start out. The headphones are going to make the biggest difference here anyway

1 Like

@vucirrha Nighthawk Carbon have my vote. My favorite headphones I have ever used/owned. Despite the unique sound signature, they are a great all-rounder pair. Great for almost any kind of music. They have really nice sub-bass, the really low frequencies, nice vocals, and good treble, not too sharp at all. They have a very nice wide soundstage and almost a 3D imaging feeling. Sounds come from not just side to side, but forward, behind, up, and down as well. They are really fun for their uniqueness. I haven’t had any build quality problems at all with them. They are extremely comfortable. Another great thing is they are easy to drive and you don’t really need a a good DAC or Amplifier for them, they only have a 26 ohm impedance which is even lower than the Porta Pro.
All in all, they are great for the price and I highly recommend them.

I will also confirm that I have used both the 58x, Nighthawk, (and also IEMs) on my travels directly attached to my phone and deeply enjoyed them all. At home, I even use an affordable SMSL M100.
I have only busted out the big guns for my stereo setup, but as M0N mentioned, you will get a deeply enjoyable experience.
Most sources will say it is mainly determined by headphones and source, then amp, then dac

Well if your gonna get a headphone for the phone no dac/amp i recommend the Meze 99 noirs. i think they are better than the 58x. althought the 58x is a very nice headphone. the Noirs come with 2 sets of pads, i recommend the bigger ones. My ears are medium and they fit fine. but if you have bigger ears you may want to go with the 58x.

But i’m really surprised to hear this about the m1060. i thought it would be great cause its a larger planar driver, zeos recomended it.

Option overload eh but like I said super helpful folks around here :+1: just 58x and forget it and you wont have to drown in audiophile stuff… if you decide to go that route I dont think you’ll regret it… they’re 150 usd but they were 130 or 135 not too long ago… good luck

1 Like

The noirs aren’t for everyone very bloated bass fun signature while the 58x is better as a ll rounder nice warm signature and agreeable for most genres

Yeah i know its a good headphone. I just hate that veil. i love clarity in a headphone. And ive compared the 58x to the noirs and i feel the noirs are a better headphone. the bass sounds alright to me. especially with the bigger pads.

So you enjoy the 600 correct?

It can often sound bailed to those that like brighter cans but imo for the price it’s not veiled at all and presents a decent amount of detail punching up a bit. Just hard to notice cause they are so smooth

I just got them and ive been listening to them. I they sound ok so far but this sometimes happen wear i’ll like something at first and think its great. like the he4xx. then on further listening i’ll find theres something about it i hate.

They have a similar “veil” to the 58x, except the 58x is better extended in the bass. It just has a warmer signature compared to the 600

The 58x does sound more veiled to me. maybe its that extension?

I love that veil :raised_hands:

It’s more likely that the 600 has more detail with a bit less dip in the 2-5k range, but really they are somewhat similar in signature, but the 600 is an improvement in technicality and presentation. Typically veil is used to describe a lack of frequency extension or muffled sound which personally I don’t really find the 58x and 600 to be different in that regard off of a solid state