Low Cost Speakers for 20 watt Receiver

I have a vintage Technics sa-210 receiver that I picked up recently. Since it is the same one I got as a Senior gift, it has a bit of sentiment to it. I am in search of some decent sounding bookshelves that I can use for casual mid - low volume listening. Given the extreme low power situation, I am looking for suggestions for high efficient but good sounding speakers. I want to be under $200/pair and I am open to vintage suggestions. Thoughts? Thanks!

Hit up a few thrift stores in the area and grab some vintage bookshelves that seem good.

TBH, I don’t really know high sensitivity speakers in that price range that 20watts could really push well. Yeah, most would play music, but wouldn’t be optimal. And trying to match $200 speakers to a low-end 80s receiver sounds like an odd mixture. The 80s and 90s is kinda a dark area of lower-end gear since there was a lot of low-quality stuff pushed.

Or you can snag up some Edifier powered speakers and call it there.

Klipsch R15 and the RP150-600M line. They play louder than any of my other bookshelves.

I picked up a pair of Mirage Bookshelf but despite the middle mids to high being exceptional, there is a significant lack in the vocal range and for all else, no bass. I have a set of Bic Venturi V-52’s but one of the woofer’s is shot. The Technics won’t drive my Vandersteens, Allisions, or much else that needs power. So I need to find bookshelf speakers that can be driven with a mere 20 watts… Figured I’d ask in here. I looked at the Jamo S 803, but from the specs I don’t think they will work.

Yeah those are significantly out of my price range

R-41M $119.00 they go on sale $99.00 .

2 Likes

I was on a tight budget myself and needed a desktop solution. just purchased a pair of Neumi BS5 desktop speakers. For 99 bucks they are surprisingly good. And they are getting better every day! I think 20-25 watts will drive them just fine. I was using the MX-3 to drive them before the SMSL stack came and they sounded great. A great value in my humble opinion. I am very happy with them. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Would you say theyre bright ?

My interpretation of bright is that the speaker has a bias towards the high frequencies. Bright often has a negative connotation. I would not consider these bright. I think they extremely accurate and clean. I love how detailed they are. These are not Bass monsters, but provide good punch if driven a little harder. As mentioned, I started with a MX-3 an now have about double the power driving them, and I will say the extra power really woke them up! But they are very new, so things could change again.

I should add that my ears are pretty screwed up, so you may not hear what I am hearing! That disclaimer established, I am enjoying them very much.

2 Likes

I got a 2 pairs, 2.1 TV setup using an amazon basic amp and rear ch in my HT. Those tweeters, lol. maybe its the amp.

Would a warm amp pair with these. I know it might be silly for $90 speakers. But something on amazon for under say $600.00 ?

Well, I think they might. There is a Gentleman named Zeos Pantera, Youtuber and audio beast! He does a nice review of them, as does the Cheap Audio Man. I found the info pretty useful.

Cambridge Audio SX50, very easy to power and sound great $199

1 Like

I know this thread is a few months old now and you may have already purchased something else. But, the Sony SSCS5 3 way bookshelf speakers are on sale today for $73 for a pair, with free shipping through Amazon. These are highly rated by every youtube review I could find. I purchased 4 of these to replace some Edifiers I was disappointed in. I haven’t seen the light with self powered speakers personally, so went back to passive speakers and stereo receivers again. These Sony speakers are unique since most Sony speakers fail to deliver. These do have a bright sound and are very clear. Most agree they are very impressive for this price point. I’m sure you’ll get ample sound from these with 20 watts, and enjoy them with a more powerful amp down the road. I’ve used them in the bedroom with a 35 watt receiver, and they really were impressive in a 5.1 set up in the living room pushed by a 90 watt Onkyo receiver. At any rate, they meet your low cost criteria. I hope these help if you haven’t pulled the trigger by now on something else.

2 Likes

Good call. I have seen the positive feedback on these as well. And welcome!

1 Like