Low Cost Speakers for 20 watt Receiver

I have a vintage Technics sa-210 receiver that I picked up recently. Since it is the same one I got as a Senior gift, it has a bit of sentiment to it. I am in search of some decent sounding bookshelves that I can use for casual mid - low volume listening. Given the extreme low power situation, I am looking for suggestions for high efficient but good sounding speakers. I want to be under $200/pair and I am open to vintage suggestions. Thoughts? Thanks!

Hit up a few thrift stores in the area and grab some vintage bookshelves that seem good.

TBH, I don’t really know high sensitivity speakers in that price range that 20watts could really push well. Yeah, most would play music, but wouldn’t be optimal. And trying to match $200 speakers to a low-end 80s receiver sounds like an odd mixture. The 80s and 90s is kinda a dark area of lower-end gear since there was a lot of low-quality stuff pushed.

Or you can snag up some Edifier powered speakers and call it there.

Klipsch R15 and the RP150-600M line. They play louder than any of my other bookshelves.

I picked up a pair of Mirage Bookshelf but despite the middle mids to high being exceptional, there is a significant lack in the vocal range and for all else, no bass. I have a set of Bic Venturi V-52’s but one of the woofer’s is shot. The Technics won’t drive my Vandersteens, Allisions, or much else that needs power. So I need to find bookshelf speakers that can be driven with a mere 20 watts… Figured I’d ask in here. I looked at the Jamo S 803, but from the specs I don’t think they will work.

Yeah those are significantly out of my price range

R-41M $119.00 they go on sale $99.00 .

2 Likes

I was on a tight budget myself and needed a desktop solution. just purchased a pair of Neumi BS5 desktop speakers. For 99 bucks they are surprisingly good. And they are getting better every day! I think 20-25 watts will drive them just fine. I was using the MX-3 to drive them before the SMSL stack came and they sounded great. A great value in my humble opinion. I am very happy with them. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Would you say theyre bright ?

My interpretation of bright is that the speaker has a bias towards the high frequencies. Bright often has a negative connotation. I would not consider these bright. I think they extremely accurate and clean. I love how detailed they are. These are not Bass monsters, but provide good punch if driven a little harder. As mentioned, I started with a MX-3 an now have about double the power driving them, and I will say the extra power really woke them up! But they are very new, so things could change again.

I should add that my ears are pretty screwed up, so you may not hear what I am hearing! That disclaimer established, I am enjoying them very much.

2 Likes

I got a 2 pairs, 2.1 TV setup using an amazon basic amp and rear ch in my HT. Those tweeters, lol. maybe its the amp.

Would a warm amp pair with these. I know it might be silly for $90 speakers. But something on amazon for under say $600.00 ?

Well, I think they might. There is a Gentleman named Zeos Pantera, Youtuber and audio beast! He does a nice review of them, as does the Cheap Audio Man. I found the info pretty useful.

Cambridge Audio SX50, very easy to power and sound great $199

1 Like