Loxjie P20 - Balanced Hybrid Headphone Amp

Are the 6N3P-DR tubes noticeably different from the Reflector 6N3P-E? I currently have the Es in my p20 but am considering the DRs if they will give a different flavor

I havenā€™t tried the E I donā€™t think.

Iā€™ve tried the reflector brand 6n3p-E and EV, the DR is much better than both. They were pretty unremarkable tbh.

I ended up buying a set of four 6N3P-EV on ebay since most of the sellers DR are either from Russia or Ukraine, and that shit show is gonna be going on for a whileā€¦ Overall pretty happy over stock maybe will try DR sometimes

The timing is definitely unfortunate. I hope you get to try DR sometime. Youā€™ll throw the EV in the trash!

Hi everyone! Sorry Iā€™m late to the party (not to hifi)
Iā€™ve just bought a Loxjie P20 and read this thread thoroughly.
Based on the advice here and elsewhere, Iā€™ve purchase two quite rare GE 5-Star Red Label 5670 (6N3) tubes and a 25W 12v (Telema) linear power supply.
Iā€™ll be using my Audeze LCD-XC planar headphones in balanced (from the DAC). Is the quite low 20Ohm impedance of these planars an issue? Or is it fine in balanced? Also, my E70 Velvet DAC has a 3v and 4v output mode. Which do I want to use?
Cheers all!

Welcome to the forum :smiley:
So two things

1. Its not just about the impedance , its also about the sensitivity thatā€™s why its messured in DB (how much sound does a certain amount of power produce. So for that kind of headphone i would suggest something with a little more power (if you have a E70 i would maybe suggest a topping amp to pair with it like an E50 or maybe even a L70 if you have the budget)

2. In general Planar headphones like power, a tube amps (even i hybrid one) sacrifice some of itā€™s power for the ā€œflavorā€, so often tube amps are not the right choice for planar headphones (also some planar do not react well to the ā€œtube flavorā€, but thatā€™s case by case scenrio )

1 Like

Thanks for the advice pal.
Yeah, I have a Topping A90D and a Trilogy 931 amp as well. I heard a hybrid ā€˜shouldā€™ be ok with Planars (Tbh, Iā€™m returning the XC as theyā€™re terrible and going back to open LCD-3ā€™s)

Any idea what the 3v & 4v option on my DAC is all about?

I have a vague idea but i suggest going over to the E70 Velvet thread reading/asking there, folks really go into more detail on specifc thread though it is a little daunting to read some posts

Side note if you are trying Planars (praticurally Hifiman) try them on the A90D first. I use mine as a sort ā€œbenchmarkā€, its clean with ton of power so most planars sound thier best on that sort of amp

1 Like

The 3v and 4v settings are for the output level of your DAC. The higher the number, the stronger the signal your DAC will send out to your amp.

If youā€™re looking for a closed back planar, maybe check out the DCA Aeon 2 Closed or Ether Cs. Aeon if you want a more musical sound, Ethers if you want a cleaner more clinical sound. Iā€™m a big fan of the way DCA tunes their headphones, their ā€œhouse sound,ā€ so to speak. They do balanced tunings very well, IMO/IME and I also think they do closed back planars better than any other company I have tried including Audeze.