M300 or DIY 3.1 on sound alone? Hearing damage

Going for a 2.1, mostly for TV and movies, and occasional music. I have the building skills if need be.

Looking for best movie and TV experience between the two at a given volume. Also consider that I have high frequency hearing loss from a service career (typical hearing damaged caused by lots of weapons fire). Not enough to wear hearing aids, but enough that I usually have to EQ and crank the TV or whatever high enough that my wife complains… that and I don’t understand her well (even when I’m listening :stuck_out_tongue:) Its not really accurate to say I don’t hear something well… that implies an overall volume issue. Not the case. Female speech and above. The higher the frequency the worse it gets. The audiologist calls it “moderately-severe to severe high frequency hearing loss.” roughly 500ish hz and up.

So, can anyone who’s heard them both make a recommendation between the two? I might even consider the Edifier 3000 as well.
Thanks for your time!
Chris

it might be better to get some headphones where theres no sound leaksge to annoy the wife?

Yep. I have a set of Sennheiser 58x’s I use from time to time. But, I’m still set on one of these choices for a stereo HT. Thanks Marzipan!

In comparing the theoretical capabilities of a properly assembled HiVi DIY 3.1 kit (internet recommend the ‘perfectionist’ cross over turning to the original), the power speaker analogy from Swan should be the M3A around $1100. Granted you will need to power the DIY, feed it a DAC input, and give it Bluetooth to make it a comparison feature wise, but from what I understand the DIY is more capable than the M300.

well…my endgame speakers would likely be the KEF LS50’s or LSX’s. have you considered them?

Should I mention I’ll be seated about 12-15 feet from whatever I choose, and I’d like to be around $500-$600.

I kinda like the idea of active speakers for simplicity sake, and for bluetooth.

Thanks gents.

1 Like

at the lower budget, take a look at the Kanto YU6 or wait for their new TUK to land. these thing are supposedly mind blowing from what I read on their CES debut.