M40X - What's Next..?

So I found an M50x at work, and cleaned it, put on velvet pads, upgraded cable. Impressive sound! Then I found out M40x is apparently better, so I picked one up to compare. DAMN, these are very impressive!!(in a much more pleasant and enjoyable way than XS’s extremely technical impressiveness, for example) They totally lack soundstage, but otherwise are just great in every other way. I think “enjoyable neutrality + bass / non-boring neutrality + bass / warm neutral + bass” describes them well.

So…what’s next from M40x, either closed or open, any brand, any prices? (<$1000 would be nice lol) I would want more sound refinement/definition, actual soundstage, and no MORE treble(cough Beyer cough), no LESS bass, and no LESS comfort(cough Beyer cough). BONUS: something with truly stellar bass extension+detail+kick would be great.

Apparently M60x is a fail. Here are some possibilities I’ve come up with so far…

• LCD-X / XC / GX / 3 / 2
  • MSR7b / etc
  • MDR-1AM2 / Z7M2 / etc
  • Verite opin/cloasd (I’ll be dead before it ships)
  • AEON RT / 2

Already tried these(probably some others):

• AD700X / 900X / 900 / 1000X / 2000X / R70x / W1000x
  • HD560 / 600 / 650 / 660 / 598 / 700 / PC38X
  • DT770 / 880 / 990 / T1(old?) / 300 R
  • K702 / 712
  • Mobius / LCD-2 / LCD-3
  • Vokyl Erupt
  • HE400 / 500 / 400SE / Sundara v1 / XS (too treble centric) / HE6 v1 / HE6 v2 “SE”
  • L300 / 300 LTD
  • GL2000 double-sided
  • Clear
  • X2
  • SHP9500
  • MDR-MA900 / 7506 (no memory of the sound)
  • Daniel Clarke’s Mad Dog :tm:
  • Shure 1440 (bright)
  • Arctis Pro
  • Cloud 2
1 Like

Two things

1. What do you normally listen to?
  2. Why not go for a different “Flavor” rather upgrading, the M40X are a solid and if you like’m enjoy’em but it might be worth looking into something else that might suit some other itch you want to scratch?
2 Likes

There are some saying, putting ZMF Cowhides or an equivalent to that would fix the soundstage of the M40X and I do agree that the soundstage of that when all stock, is not something to write home about, and this is coming from a long time user of the M40X.

1 Like

I. I listen to all kinds of stuff(and game, YouTube, movies, video edit, etc), so I wouldn’t really want a genre-specific thing. I appreciate quality bass, rich, realistic vocals, nice air & space, precise imaging, vivid/clear detail without being overly bright/harsh. What I don’t listen to much: classical, rap, country, live recordings, acoustic stuff, blues, polka…
2. Because there’s a good chance I won’t like a different flavor. It’s hard enough to find one good headphone that sounds nice! =p They’re all different, though. I just want something that can do all aspects(bass/mids/treb) impressively(like M40x).

Cool just wanted to know.
Anyway you might two things that come to mind

1. Focal Elegia, while it doesnt tick all the boxes (soundstage mainly), its clear, detailed with an “energtic sound”, which give the bass good slam - i have heard that using the Dekoni Stellia pads improves it but i have a hard time paying 100$+ shipping for pads (at least for now)

2. DT 900 Pro X - I know you said no Beyer stuff but i’d suggest reconsidering at least the 700 and 900 Pro X, they have a much more subdued treble, the pads are way better, also no murder clamp. Look at a few reviews see if they might meat the ticket (I very much agreed with DMS on his review - ended keeping the 700 Pro X)

1 Like

Do you feel they sound better than 880, at least? 880 is the one I like between 770/880/990/300 R, but the sound is very dry.

I only tried the 80Ohm so i cant say for certain,but IMO yes
ended keeping the 700 Pro X because i liked the overall sound better has might “meat” on it, but since you are after more sound stage the 900 might suit you more.

But if you want direct comparison watch a couple of reviews they make direct references to others in the line up

1 Like

What about the HiFiMan Edition XS?

If you like the M40x, you probably should lean toward more of a refined V-shaped sound signature because the M40x aren’t neutral, despite what people claim. They’re V-shaped – just less V-shaped than the M50x. But both the M40x and M50x share grainy, congested treble that sounds terrible with complex pieces or poorly mixed and mastered music.

So, I must respectfully disagree with the recommendation of the Elegia if you like the M40x. It’s a mids-focused headphone – the exact opposite of the M40x and M50x.

I recommend you try the Edition XS. It has better bass than the Sundara, slightly recessed mids and treble with a very small peak that doesn’t annoy me. It’s probably closer in sound signature to your M40x but a hell of a lot more refined, with better imaging, soundstage and bass extension. $500. But it’s a planar, so it will reach its peak fidelity and volume with an amp.

Good luck.

1 Like

Already tried it. My problem with XS is too much treble, and also a lack of pleasant bass+warmth. Pretty typical neutral-bright tuning from HFM. I would definitely say M50x is more of a V-shape than M40x, then. Too much of a V.

The problem with all the other neutral phones, like HD600 & R70x, is usually a very poor/weak bass end. HD600 and R70x don’t have a “high-end” enough sounding treble for what I’m after, either. Treble quality(not amount) of XS and GL2000 were both pretty excellent, for reference. (XS>GL, ofc) Sundara was just very boring overall, and excessively wide.

If you are leaning towards warm you might want to try out the harmonicdyne zeus, lots of soundstage and imaging, its a little lacking on the detail but is very fun, good bass, great comfort

2 Likes

I’m starting to wonder if you need to find a warm DAC to take the edge off of some of the headphones you’ve tried to make things more to your liking like a tube DAC or maybe a tube preamp.

1 Like

Have you looked into Denon/Fostex (haven’t heard them myself)?

1 Like

I can’t remember if I tried any Denons… I know some models are praised for bass, at least. The only Fostex I’ve tried was Daniel Clarke’s Mad Dog, which sounded too congested/enclosed, and those super plush leather pads are a bit much IMO. I recall really loving an LCD-3 store demo model, but haven’t been able to test any Audeze at home yet except for Mobius. So I’m wondering about LCD-3, and X/XC, ZMF stuff, DT700/900, Zeus, AEON 2/RT.

Hm… What about that LCD-GX? :thinking:

I’m thinking it might need to be a dynamic, to match the bass kick profile of M40x.

Fine recommendation on the Zeus.

Others to consider if you want warmer bass with less-piercing treble: Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed or Noire and Audeze LCD-2C.

1 Like

Another good tip. The Burr-Brown DAC chips in iFi products create warm, engaging sound. I really enjoyed my iFi hip-DAC when I needed a portable DAC-amp.

One more tip: Meze 99 Classics.

They are bassy. In fact, the bass is a smidge too flabby and bleeds into the mids too much for my liking, which is why I sold mine. But the sound is rich and warm, with nice treble.

99 Classics are beautifully built – not a centimeter of plastic on them. Wooden cups. Plus you don’t need an amp to drive them. They run just fine off a phone or a laptop. $310. Something to consider.

1 Like

One more tip: Modhouse Argons. I’ve never heard them, but people rave about their bass and lively sound.

1 Like

I jumped from M40Xs to Drop x DCA Aeon X Opens and I’m pretty happy with them. The only problem is that they need a decent amount of power to sound good, so you need a good AMP and DAC that isn’t that peaky to go with

2 Likes

I decided to try out(for starters):

• DT 700
  • DT 900 (fail)
  • Zeus (fail)
  • K553 MKII
4 Likes

Good luck :smiley:

1 Like