Man the Fazors! Fire!

I’ve been thinking about buying an LCD2 or LCD2C. I heard the LCD2 has a Fazor inside it. I heard a Fazor was a vented like magnet that helps direct sound waves I guess? I guess this makes for a better headphone. so I would assume the LCD2 is a better headphone over the classic. does a headphone having Fazor usually sound better over one that doesn’t? what other headphones have Fazors? is a phaser strictly a planner thing? Or can they be used in Dynamics? are all Fazors magnetic? I guess they’re not all magnetic because you wouldn’t be able to 3D print one and add to a headphone.

So to start off, let’s instead compare the LCD2 pre-fazor and post-fazor instead because the 2 Classic is tuned differently from the 2, and comparing two different revisions of the same headphone is a more direct comparison. Sound wise, the pre fazor lcd 2 had more weight to the low end, had a warmer sound, and was more leaning towards dark, where the fazored lcd2 is a bit brighter and more neutral ish with less warmth and bass impact. The fazored version has better imaging, detail, and a bit better seperation, where I think the non fazored had better impact and layering, and had better depth imo. I think the fazored was more technically proficient and refined, but I personally enjoyed the non fazor LCD2 more.

Audeze I believe was the first to use the fazor term on their LCD headphones. Directing/guiding sound is nothing new, but this design is mainly for planars.

2 Likes