🔷 MassDrop THX AAA 789 - Linear Headphone Amplifier

Yeah that was my point. Gamer sound cards makes the EQ process easier - clicking a button. Most gamers wont know what frequencies to change to hear footsteps better. My point was that you can get exactly the same effect using a normal DAC and EQ software.

Similarly, silly audiophiles won’t get that effect obviously by just using a DAC/AMP, less so with the 789 because it doesn’t colour the sound. If you only use the SU-8 and THX you will get a much fuller sound in game than setting your sound blaster to FPS historically.

Agree on your point that EQ can make some headphones sound better, but not everything can be EQ’ed perfectly either - not without distortion at least. You will never be able to get planar level base out of a set of Grado’s for instance.

Going along with that, you may be able to recreate sound signature with eq, but you can’t recreate technicalities

1 Like

Exactly - You can’t turn in a narrow headphone into HD800’s. Else everyone would have done so.

You EQ stuff out… Not in

1 Like

Love the ghost shell! Do you still play?

Yeah that’s the Ghost she’ll from Destiny 1 limited edition. I just got back into Destiny 2 on PC. Gearing up for themes expansion coming in October.

1 Like

Good thing for gaming hd800s aren’t necessary to have. $1500 headphone is a bit overkill and idiotic for gaming. I’m talking about the Sound Blaster X7 witch is good for gaming and a good buy for gamers because of the software it comes with. I really don’t think gamers care about buying a $1500 headphone to play fortnite. The reason why I say audiophiles are silly :joy:

Missing the point mate

No I think you’re missing the point buddy. You’re making a case that EQ’ing is bad and I’m making a case that it actually works for gamers. EQ’ing is hard for audiophiles to digest these days.

Literally not what I was saying. But whatever. You be you boo

Can the 789 be used as a pre-amp for studio monitors as well or would I need to buy a DAC like the SMSL SH-8 to use the monitors?

1 Like

It doesn’t have pre-outs. You won’t be able to control the volume using the 789.

1 Like

Welcome to the fourm, @JFox!!

The 789 will only work to pass the signal thru. I don’t believe the sound will be colored by the preamp. Are your studio monitors powered? How would you be passing sound to the 789?

I am using the JBL 306P. After looking at my options in the price range I’m probably going to get the SMSL SU-8 to hook up XLR to the 789 and RCA > XLR for the studio monitor.At least thats how I think it will work. Sorry I’m an audio noob.

Hell yeah. Just got shipping notification on mine from the April drop. It’s finally happening!

3 Likes

Same. Can’t wait (to probably not hear much of a difference but still…)!

2 Likes

If you’re already using a high quality amp, 5hen you’re probably right! I’m fully prepared for the 789 to sound like a more powerful Atom. Which is to say…for it to sound like nothing at all. Which I suppose is the whole point!!

I bought the 789 for the same reason that others have- true amp endgame. There’s nothing to add. It’s provably transparent, has unbalanced and balanced connections, more power than one could use. As said in Audio science Review- buy one and be happy forever!!!

1 Like

It’s finally here! Hearing a difference for me is super easy as my other amp is a Lyr 2 with tubes. Absolutely loving the 789 so far.

Just ordered a balanced cable for the HD650’s. Hopefully that and my SU-8 will arrive around the same time and I can see if I can tell the difference between a fully balanced setup or not.

2 Likes

Mine just got delivered. It’s my first headphone amp out side of the shitty ones they trow into interfaces and mixers.

2 Likes

Congratulations. I can wait to get mine,