🔷 MassDrop THX AAA 789 - Linear Headphone Amplifier

@ZeosPantera I am using the Focal Elex as my daily driver and currently power it with the Atom. I believe this headphone is fairly easy to drive, as I have plenty of headroom. Would the 789 give me any discernible improvement with the Elex?

Still can’t believe how much people are overpaying for this on the secondary market lol.
It was really good for the money, but @ $900… not so sure it’s the same story.

1 Like

LOL the 789 is now $400 on Drop! I honestly have no idea how someone can justify spending $300 more on this when the Atom exists. Most of what I have seen at Audio Science Review objectively shows the Atom is actually a better single-ended amp.

I was in on the last drop about a month ago but after considering, I would then ‘‘need’’ to get a balanced DAC, I pulled the plug on the order. Now I just caught a notif from Zeos of a new pre-order openned on Drop and again, at 425$US (I’m in Quebec Canada so thay’s 573$CDN + about 45-60$ of customs fees) I’m probably going to have a hard time falling a sleep tonight until I cancel that order too. I’M happy with my stuff, I think… but more would be nice… I NEED more power!

Just making sure everyone has seen that this drop is available now. I just joined. I have no idea when I will receive this but the fact that it is dropping again is fantastic!!!

I managed to get into the drop when it was $350. I have the JDS labs atom and it’s a great single ended amp for me until I bought balanced argons.

I got in on this drop, and give full credit to how easy it was to do on my phone while I was sitting on the toilet at work. I had already logged in on my phone, all I had to do was refresh the page and make ONE click to purchase it. Very smooth.

It was a satisfying experience taking care of business.

1 Like

joined the drop the first minutes this time - last time I had the money saved up for the 789 but had no idea when it will be available and so I joined the DT 177x Go drop - hours later the 789 was live and I was angry about the bad timing.
I will buy the SMSL SU-8 balanced DAC - like SMSL from my M6

1 Like

Just a month ago scored myself a Questyle cma400i on sale as a compromise for missing out on the last 798 drop. Lucky I got up in the middle of the night, being in New Zealand the drop started at about 3am joined the drop and by the time it was morning drop finished.

Really looking forward to the 798 as im also looking to at getting a pair of T1’s which iv listened to on the cma400i and they can power the T1’s but only just.

1 Like

CMA400i was also my Plan B - listened to it a few times and liked it as best balanced solution under 1000 Euro
I thought the T1 V2 would be a easy pairing for the CMA400i - because exactly this is one of my next purchases (1st Focal Elegia at the end of 2019 and then Ananda or T1 V2 in spring next year)

1 Like

Just curious if anybody has upgraded to the 788 or 789 from the Audio Gd NFB-11. If so, would you be able to do a quick comparison of them both?

They were on drop again… picked up 3 of them…yay

I believe the nfb1 was the amp Joshua Valour used and then sold after getting the thx 789.

1 Like

Nfb-1 and NFB-11 are 2 totally different things. I follow Josh, but thanks for the link anyways.

I have a Geshelli Stack (ENOG2 PRO DAC and Archel Pro amp), and got in on the August 789 drop. Planning on keeping the ENOG2 PRO for balanced into the 789. It’s just such a smooth and satisfying DAC (although ASR says balanced isn’t as clean as RCA, to be expected).

A question for people who have a 789: If I want to use speakers with the 789, do I need to have the signal come in through the RCA inputs in order to get signal out of the RCA passthrough? In this case, is it safe to plug in the XLR and RCA’s from the ENOG2 PRO simultaneously and use the input selector button to toggle between speakers and headphones?

Otherwise I’ll just use a Mackie Big Knob to toggle between the 789 and my monitors.

i’ll just wait for my 789 to come in and cop the SMSL SU-8 to pair with it. oh boy i can’t wait :weary:

2 Likes

Endgame right there my friend!

All this talk about the 789 is making the hundreds of people (including me) who are still waiting on the Febuary drop despise Massdrop

2 Likes

You have to give a thorough sound comparison at some point! Been pondering between the THX 789 and cma400i for so long. Got on this 789 drop, but cma400i still in the back of my head.

1 Like