Massdrop X Eddie Current ZDT Jr

Hey I wanted to know if anyone had a darkvoice how this compared to it. Also my use case I own an Aeolus and a DT 880 600 ohm I love off my current darkvoice would this be suitable? Also I understand that OTL design tube Amps have issues with planars due to low ohm impedance does the eddie current zdt Jr have that similar quirk?

It’s a technically better amp, better detail, less slop than the Darkvoice.
It’s still a pretty wet amp, but nothing like as wet as a DarkVoice, it still has a very rich midrange, but it won’t sound as “tubey” (I hate that word)
Even the low impedance on the ZDT Jr is pretty high impedance, you have to get into relatively expensive tube amps before planars make sense on Tubes. The Tuba isn’t terrible in this regard, but I wouldn’t buy one just for that purpose.

1 Like

Thank you I really appreciate it. I know what you mean, yeah I saw that the “low” impedance was still 32ohms so mostly a no go for most planars. That’s fine I recently got an Xduoo TA-30 so that can cover those. I’ve always had my eye on this amp. It looks like it punches above its weight. What would you say would be a good price on this second hand before it doesn’t make sense anymore?

I paid $250 for mine, they tend to go between 250 and 300, ideally you want one from the second batch, they have a white dot on the serial number. But the fix isn’t too hard if your handy.

1 Like

If you can wait the 5+months it takes to get one the SW51+ is the under $500 tube amp to have IMO.

1 Like

I didn’t know about that amp I’ll take a look thank you. I can definitely wait

It looks nice, what about this tube amp makes it more of the way to go?

It’s just stunningly good for the cost.
Mines from the second batch of SW51+, he’s on 4 now, I bought it to support someone doing a small production run on a site I frequent every now and then.
It’s a much dryer amp, which is more to my preference, because it’s an unusual audio tube, rolling tubes is dirt cheap ~$5 a tube.
Mine is dead silent on anything but the most sensitive IEM.
The closest amp to it IMO is the Haggerman Tuba, but that’s $600 +another $50-$80 for a good set of tubes.

I use mine over the Tuba by preference, and I like the tuba.

2 Likes

Awesome it sounds incredible, where is it to look at costs for orders? / for contact to see what can be done

Go here http://www.z-ampo.tech/index.php?id=headphone-amplifier and fill out the form. It’s not a very professional looking site but it’s legit and the owner should respond within a few days.

2 Likes