Mega poll. Open back under 1000$

Objectives:
-To forget about open headphones for a year or more.
-Enjoy the music.

Main music:
-Environmental, soundtrack and EDM.

Extras:
-Not ultra demanding.
-Good instrumental separation.

• Monolith M1070
  • Monolith M1570
  • Hifiman Sundara
  • Hifiman Edition Xs
  • Hifiman Ananda
  • Focal Elex
  • Beyerdynamic Dt1990pro
  • Sivga Sv023
  • Akg K712 pro
  • Sennheiser Hd660s
  • Sennheiser Hd650
  • Verum One
  • Other (sub1000€)

0 voters

While did vote for the Xs, i might remove it from the poll since it is rather demanding in terms of amps - you dont have to go super high end but it scale way better on higher end amps .

P.s. As well as the Ananda

Before I vote, I have two questions just to make sure I understand what you’re looking for:

1. What is environmental music? I don’t thing I’ve ever heard of the genre so maybe an example of a typical artist in the genre would be helpful.

2. When you say “ultra demanding” what amplification requirements does that mean you’re okay with? If you tell us what source(s) of amplification you’re intending to use these headphones with it might be helpful.

1 Like

Does anyone ever feel compelled to respond to a poll, even knowing zero about what’s being asked?

Don’t worry, I haven’t contributed, and won’t. :rofl:

1 Like

Over ears are an anomaly to me - I’m just starting to feel like I have a decent footing on IEMs - Now I’m on to sources/amps/DACS and THEN I’ll dive into over ears … I do feel compelled to vote but boy, do I know absolutely nothing :smiling_face_with_tear:

1-That was a bad translation. The correct one is ambient music.
A very broad genre, but I’m sure Brian Eno and many others ring a bell. Now I’m fascinated with “Dybet” by Lauge.

2-This one I don’t know how to answer. Among other things because I don’t know how much demand there is. I understand that it should preferably be more than 95 decibels of sensitivity.
Now I have the sonata HD pro, ifi hip dac and another topping.

1 Like

It is my opinion that A) Sivga, Sendy whatever they choose to call themselves produce headphones that look good but don’t sound good. B) Beyers are overrated.

I’d say Elex, just because they are the most detailed on this list.

It is also funny how everyone forgot about the Ananda after the edition XS came out. I’d think being easier to drive and having a more comfortable headband alone would make it a better proposition

1 Like

I would throw in the hd58X, great price to performance.

One headphone I keep forgetting is the new Meze 109 Pro, that might be nice especially with an ifi go blu.

Thanks for clarifying!

Can confirm meze 109s pair with ifi sources like peanut butter and jelly.

Have you tried planars before? A nice planar will put your mind at ease for a year for sure. I just don’t know if it’s really your thing or not.

I’ve only tried the Sundaras and they are lovely I am just not sure if they would impress you with their separation as it is pretty decent but not spectacular. I don’t know if all planars image the same way.

The higher end Hifimans should be a decent upgrade over Sundaras overall, depending on what you are looking for… I have heard that Sundaras have better planar bass slam over the higher end ones and I have to say they slam really well.

Also while I have not tried the 1990s I can say from trying lower-end Beyers that the separation and imaging should be very good. But they usually are aggressive and will not play well with every song.

At EU pricing, the K712 is nice. At US pricing, it is meh.

With the shit-show surrounding the Verum One, I would recommend against that.

1 Like

OG Focal Clear not in the running? You still can get them new within your budget, and I’d consider them over Elex.

4 Likes

Yeah OG Clears if you can get them

1 Like