Metal music thread & IEM for it

Agree on the Estrella - absolutely loving it. Heavy and clean, Im blown away. I hadn’t heard Haken before but Im digging them, they remind me of Karnivool. Best Haken album? Which would you recommend for good for a first listen?

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

Yeh, dude. I’m curious about how my ZE51B is gonna do next to Estrella for this type of stuff.

I can hear a bit of Karnivool in there, too! My favourite, and in my opinion the best, Haken album is their latest release, ‘Fauna’. If you are more of a prog head than a metal head, Fauna is what I’d recommend. If you really enjoy more natural/real production, Fauna also comes out as the top recommendation. If you are a drummer and are entrance by clever, well written rhythm sections that are not self-masturbatory and serve the song, you will always be entertained by Haken, but again, Fauna has the best showing in this regard. However, if you are coming from this from a metal head angle, and just want their heaviest offering, then ‘Virus’ should be your first foray into Haken. Virus features the above 17 minute beast, ‘Messiah Complex’.

Let me know which way you go!

2 Likes

\m/ horns of approval \m/

Yeah dude bone conduction sounds epic, theyll have their place for many popular genres for sure. Love to get some for my next set. Funny you say that, I was a drummer for many years so my experience of listening leans into that perspective. Not a massive prog head tho - I love other brutal subgenres aswell - but its so creative and interesting with all instruments that when I come across bands like Haken I get amped! Those tracks are sick! Great production too. Not sure the vocals are my favourite but I prefer them to Leprous and I def want to listen more and find out. Virus seems to rule so ill go with Fauna and come back to it.

Great track, thx for throwing it up. Keen to hear reviews of BC iems by metalheads

2 Likes

:crazy_face: :metal: :ok_hand: :fire: :zap: :1st_place_medal:
WTF madafakaaa brutal

:smiling_face_with_tear:

Not bad mastering…

Not a reviewer so won’t get into the weeds but I’ve been digging the Penon Fan 3 for my atmo/post/fruity prog/metal ranges. Little thin on some male vocals (esp. busy tracks, Jens, Devy) but can be filled out a bit with XBass or EQ, the rest is a fun presentation. Mastodon’s Blue Walsh and This Mortal Soil, Opeth’s Ghost of Perdition give me chills, though might’ve been volume+nostalgia. We Who Lament from Earthside is haunting. Intronaut’s Valley of Smoke is insane (I can’t XBass this). Fares well with Four Stroke Baron, Cult of Luna, The Ocean and everything in between.

I’d read BC doesn’t do much for in ear, but the immersion with these is way more than I’d expected. With the mailing list coupon they were pretty reasonable, but used prices make them look better (I failed a will save.) Trying to rein in saying how much I like these given what Penon reviews generally look like. I have no other BC to compare them to, I like them, they’re great and do something different in my collection.

Random observations include: I’m not sure burn-in did anything but run down my DAP battery several times. That’s a map of Hong Kong. Need to find the right tips for best BC results. BC turned off results in a more boring but still pleasant IEM vs. my usual favorites. Going to go awkwardly re-lurk now.

4 Likes

Estrella presents

2 Likes

Yes and yes. Great artist, possibly his best work and on Estrella :raised_hands:

1 Like

:crazy_face: :1st_place_medal:

1 Like

:milky_way: Night Verses - Into the Darkness :milky_way:

1 Like